Walker or Mid-Mount

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigdaddyspags, May 5, 2004.

1. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

I'm about a day away from replacing my 16HP Walker and buying a new 26 EFI model. Today i started chatting with another "Walker Veteran" that recently swithced to a John Deere mid-mount ZTR with bagger. He swears up and down that his JD is twice the machine that his Walker ever was. I have tried ZTR's before, but not for any extensive time. I don't have much time at all right now to go demoing a bunch of machines. Can anyone out there, that has done the Walker thing and the mid-mount ZTR thing, give me some opinions?
  2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Both machines have their place. I prefer 1 of each type on the trailer. I have 2 ,48" Walkers and a Hustler 60" with the Bac-Vac unit.

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with gene the best would be both machines. We almost always carry a Walker and a midmount with us unless we are only doing the soccer fields or ball diamonds. We have one of the front mount JD and don't even use it for cutting. I would think that the JD midmount would be a good machine. Again it depends on your properties.
  4. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I agree, both are the best. I had 2 walkers and a DC for quite sometime. When I decided to go part time and solo, I dint have the means to keep everything and had to sell a couple mowers...I choose to keep the walker. WHY? it does everything the mid mount can and more....It may not be as fast, but for me and the lawns I was doing it was the better choice....If I had alot of wide open mowing I would have kept the DC.
  5. outsidepride

outsidepride LawnSite Member

I have been demoing a zd 21 Kubota the last two days i have currently two walkers 20 Hp with 48 and 42 and 56 decks. I like the ztr but the walker is more versitile slower but can be used anywhere, I am going to purchase the kubota but I am keeping a walker as well like gene gls said but if it had to be was one or the other I would stay with the walker. my 2 cents
  6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd simplify it by saying a ZTR with bagger will be more versatile.

The walker is good for those high end props, and being light helps, but they are primarily a catcher system with the availability of other decks, you buy a ZTR and fit a bagger if you bag you have 3 options, mulch, catch, side discharge, and a belt run blade system is more shock proof than a shaft.

I had a 48'' walker, loved it, then went to a toro bagger, z355, and found it better, then just recently bought a toro z588e ZTR, I don't bag but with mulching and side discharging my market is covered and profits are much higher.

Go with a ZTR ....