1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

walker or navigator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mds2000, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Walker is the best machine on my rig!

If you need to bag, quality matters, and space is flat and lots of obstacles go walker.

Spring clean up this thing cuts the time in half with that little comb on the front, Spring we can suck up wet grass, De-thatch then run walker over and suck up the mess that makes tons of money but you definitely toss the air filter after doing a few of those.

Fall wow I would never do leaf clean up with out the walker it sucks up every last leaf.

But I will tell you if you want it to perform like a lawn vacuum (that's what it is) you have to keep the screen clean and use different ones for different conditions. lots of grease points but they all almost require about a half to one full pump also you need to open it up and blow it out depending on the conditions only a good operator should use it you put morons on it they will destroy it.

When you buy it get the efi 48 deck dual rear wheel both screens put tubes in the rear tires bigger hopper bigger blower it saves fuel and starts every time I have 1,000 hrs on our walker in 2 years we use the crap out of it. Last Christmas eve we were sucking up leaves with it and the snow that was falling with it.
  2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I will consider a Navigator when they come out with dump bins for the catcher and a side discharge deck to run in the summer when not bagging. Until then, I'm sticking with Walker.
  3. RandallM

RandallM LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I have a question about this very issue. How do you change up the perimeter mowing to avoid rutting? I typically go around the outside two times to throw the clippings away from the walkways, then change the mowing direction every time for the rest of the yard. Had some minor rutting due to this practice (perimeter only). Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I had issues with a few of my yards this season due to this.
  4. B Gillespie

B Gillespie LawnSite Member

Walker doesn't plan to redesign the dump bins for the new hopper. I tried them, made more of a mess than they helped, plus the back door would not shut completely with the bins installed and blew grass everywhere. I returned them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Ummm...what? I would say that 75% of the guys in my town running Walkers use dump bins. For me they are by far the easiest way to get clippings in the truck. Surely they will have to redesign the bins for the hopper...
  6. Kutz Lawns

Kutz Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

It's not a dumb question at all!

The first time around the perimeter is hard to change but the second time around do two halfs instead of one full path & you kinda smooth out the rut from the first pass doing the halfs on the second time around with the rear wheel. It's kinda hard to explain but you get the picture I hope!

CHRIS MELROSE LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

I heard that the Navigators were harder to change belts on? Any truth to this?
  8. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

NO! I have not had any problem at all. Just pay attention like usual and it is OK :weightlifter:

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the same belts but I felt on my machine it was a little bit of a bi*ch to change the blade belts. Not impossible but a little bit of a pain. Just my opinion.
  10. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

Well.....I figured a b!tch was normal?:laugh: