Walker or Toro Z 350?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Cops, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

My question: should I buy a new Z 350 for 7800 or should I buy a used walker?

Background: Full time police Officer/ Part time Lawn Maint. and growing.....16 weekly accounts done currently with a 36 WB and a 21". Only bag on 2 accounts. Have 3 $300,000 homes ( very nice around here) and I mulch them when I can. I have been given the chance to get the maintenance for the common areas of a new subdivision (300,000+ homes) that have been sodded with zoysia and to maintain the woodlines( 1/3 of the common area is going to be woods) in the common areas. I feel that I should bag these areas and also feel that a very good quality cut will help my business. The goal here is to get some/most of the new homes in the area. Plus I need to cut my other mowing times down in order to grow more.

I like the fact that the Toro can mulch and collect. I love the cut of the Walker. I need your opinions/adviseon which mower would be better for me.

Thanks,

Jim
    Lawn Cops

2. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

first of all, what part of Arkansas are you from?
    second, i would buy the walker. best ghs system on the market.
    strips are wonderful. but then again, i am partial

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I compared the same machines about 6 months ago. I agree the mulching facor was big with me as well. I demoed both, they both gave good cuts, & both handled really well. After a week of hashing it around I decieded to go with the Walker, just seemed to "feel" better to me. I had the dealer throw in a grass deflector kit. It doesn't mulch but disperses (sp) the grass out the back and onto the lawn. On regularly cut grass it looks fine but in longer thick grass it shows, I just go over it twice. Dealer came into play too. The Walker dealer treated me alot better than the Toro deler. Anytime I need a part or have a question he gets right on it. I have dealt with the Toro dealer a few times since and he never seems to have parts in stock when I need them (weedwacker). Put each dealer into the equation, they can make all the difference. Good Luck!!!

4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

By looking at your member name you are a nlr firefighter?

I would say Walker. I am getting one the first of the next season, you can bet on it. I wouldn't even think of getting anything else.

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

NLR-I just read your signature. I know who you are. I cut a property on Allwood on the next street over from your house. Nice rig BTW:)
    I thought your were a police officer because of your name and there is usually a squad car or two parked by your house.

6. Lawn Cops

Ark guys. I am in NLR and Yes thats my car. I'm a Sgt. with NLRPD. Most of my porp is in NLR.

Thanks so far for the advise. It's still going to be a hard dec.

So far the Toro dealer appears to be wanting to bend over backwards for me. I have been dealing with them for about a year / but have not bought anything at the dealer up to now. SO I think they will give me good service.

7. Lawn Cops

Green man thanks for the compliment on my rig....I believe I know who you are also.

8. mowngrow

who is your toro dealer? Jerry Pate Turf and Irrigation?

9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

NLR- only you know which is best for you, and good luck. I'll honk if I see ya, I'm not stuck up like a few of the LCOs are here. You cant miss my green f-150 and green 16' open trailer.

10. mowngrow

now greenman, who might u b talkin about when u say stuck up?