Walker or wright stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GNB, Oct 24, 2008.

1. GNB

GNB LawnSite Member

Need some help.i have a 36 inch mower.want to add to that for next year.what should i get and why.48 walker mower or 48 wright stander.thanks for your help

2. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

do you need to bag
    is the terrain flat
    are the properties taken care of fert weed control proper mowing

If so get a walker if not get a stander

3. GNB

GNB LawnSite Member

Have to bag.flat terrain.lawns are treated

4. m&mmowing

m&mmowing LawnSite Member

what's your 36? if you only have 2 mowers, i'd recommend getting something bigger than the 48, that's only 12 inches, unless you just need one that size, you won't gain much. I know i run a 36 and a 61, and that works out very, very well for me, explore your options before you buy equipment, more than 2 brands of mowers out there

5. SubLime1970

SubLime1970 LawnSite Member

I have a 52 stander and a 42 walker and would take the stander anyday (any size), less maintenance on the stander can cut just as nice and have the option to bag, I have lawns i have to bag and i just cut it once with the stander and then throw the catcher on and suck the clippings up. As long as you have some experience cutting lawns you should be able to pull it off. Just my opinion hope it helps.

6. GNB

GNB LawnSite Member

Why do you have to cut it.then go back and bag it.or did i read your post wrong.also is 19hp enough for 52 stander.

7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds to me that a Walker or Navigater is just what you need. These machines were made just for that purpose. If you would have said that you just needed to get it cut down and gone then the stander would probably be better.

8. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep its plenty of power. We sell alot of them with the 17 kawi and thoes are just fine!

9. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

depends on the types of accounts, high end resi or lots who dont care and just want you in and out. If it were me I would save some money and just get the wright with a side bagger. you could probably get two wrights for the price of one walker. if were talking new. Oh I have both a walker MDGHS and wright 36

10. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm running WB's right now and its time for an upgrade. I have some lawns I bag, some that are perfect, some that are not. Its a good mixture of everything for me. But something that I really want a Navigator or Walker for is spring and fall clean-ups. I think it would be so nice for that. But for everyday mowing, and price point a Stander would make more sense.