Walker over heating HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProScapeOM, Apr 13, 2001.

1. ProScapeOM

ProScapeOM LawnSite Member

I have a 1999 model Walker Mower with a 25 hp Kabota gas engine that is liquid cooled. I am having a problem with over heating. The mechanics have replaced the control module (part # 7958) twice and the fan once and it still overheats. Has anyone had this problem and did you get it fixed and how. Thanks for the info.

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the fan reversing when the screen gets clogged? Also, do you clean the engine off regularly? Both will cause overheating.

3. ProScapeOM

The fan blows air towards the engine when the temperature reaches 160 degrees. If it hits 159 degrees it reverses. I keep it cleaned, lubed and do all the regular maintenance on it. Thanks for the input.

4. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

I did not have a liquid cooled, but I kept mine blown out everyday, and pulled engine at the end of the season to blow out. never had any probs

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Are you getting any coolant in your oil or vice versa?

The only service info i found was the one below.

Hopefully it is this simple!!

SUBJECT: Replacement of Incorrect Water Temperature Sender

MODELS AFFECTED:

All MD S/N 98-33947 thru 98-36852 (Also All Earlier MD Units when a replacement Water Temperature Gauge or Sender is installed).

PURPOSE:

This bulletin covers two possible cases of mismatched water temperature senders and gauges resulting in erroneous temperature readings.

1) Due to a change in vendors for the Water Temperature Gauge and a subsequent manufaturing error, approximately 400 '98 models have a "DATCON" water temperature sender (P/N 7306-4) mismatched with a "STEWART WARNER" temperature gauge on the instrument panel. This results in an inaccurate reading of +30° F (too high) on the temperature gauge. An inspection of affected units should be performed to determine if the correct sender is paired with the gauge and if not, replace the sender.

NOTE: A normal water temperature reading for the '98 Model MD is approximately 160° F when operating no-load. Units with the wrong sender have indicated approximately 190° F in error.

2) Since the same part numbers, as originally used for "DATCON", have been maintained for the new STEWART WARNER sender (P/N 7306-4) and temperature gauge (P/N 7306-3), if either part is to be replaced on an earlier unit (starting S/N 92-11756), both the sender and gauge will need to be replaced as a matched pair--STEWART WARNER sender paired with STEWART WARNER gauge.

NOTE: Dealers and distributors may return all "DATCON" senders and gauges in current parts stock for full credit.

PARTS REQUIRED

Order either one or both STEWART WARNER temperature sender (P/N 7306-4) and temperature gauge (P/N 7306-3) as needed to install as a matched pair. Use the drawing below to check for matching parts.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) For all affected '98 Models, check the water temperature gauge on the panel. If it reads "STEWART WARNER", the temperature sender should look like the "STEWART WARNER" sended shown. If the sender is identified as a "DATCON", replace it with a "STEWART WARNER". NOTE: The measurement of the wrench area is a visible difference between the two sender units. Datcon is 15/32, the SW is 5/16

2) For all earlier units, if either the temperature sender or temperature gauge is being replaced, both components will need to be replaced using a matched pair of "STEWART WARNER" components.

WARRANTY COVERAGE:

For all affected '98 models, replacement of the "DATCON" sender will be covered under warranty in all cases.

6. ProScapeOM

I have a 99 model but this "sounds" like the problem I am having. I will check it out and let you know. Thanks for the quick reply.

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Any luck?

8. ProScapeOM

Well I took a look and there is a Stewart Warner temp gauge and then I looked at the temp sender and it doesn't have Datcon or SW on it. It doesn't even have the P/N 7306-4 on it. The part # on the sender on my mower was 334-AB with a date code of 9706 and 12V (hopefully I was looking at the right part?) then I called the Walker warranty repair shop and they had never heard of this bulletin. So I am going to take it to them and let them look at it. It might be a week or so, things are real busy right now. I will post as soon as I hear. Thanks for all the help.