1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Walker overheats

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mowing Freak, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

This is for any walker owners who own a recent diesel mower. I have an '06 diesel and have had nothing but trouble with the heat gage showing it to be running about 210 degrees or right at the red line. Have had it in the shop 5 times now with this problem and their fix is to replace the gage and sending unit. I am at my wits end with this mower but my question is, has any other owners had this problem. Going to call Bob Walker tomorrow the second time and try to get this problem straightened out as makes no sense when all other water cooled walkers I am around don't have this problem. Let me know if you have had any issues and if and how they were fixed. Gage just shows hot, the mower is not actually running hot.

2. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i havent herd anything about that with anyone thats running them around here but i will say i have been very very pleased with walker when it comes to dealing with problems. They seem to have a very genuine intrest in making it right with their customers that is something i appriciate and have been very pleased with best of luck getting it figured out

3. Mowing Freak

from S.E. Ks

I love my 3 other walkers but just problems since day one with this one. Maybe just got a lemon!

4. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Who know it is possible i just bought a new mt this year with the high lift and after 5 hours the shop replaced both hydro pumps first the right one was too slow and couldnt slow the left one down enough to go straight so they changed the right well then the right was going to fast and the left couldnt be speed up enought to catch it so they changed it and now 100 hours later havent had an issue since. i was surprised how easy walker was to deal with the mechanic called one of the techs at walker told him what was going on and the tech said change the hydros and send them back. All in all my machine was down 35 min changing out hydros as they had them in stock. That is faster than i have seen any other kind of waranty work get done

5. Mowing Freak

from S.E. Ks

I do have issues with the distributor (not dealer) on wanting to do much on this mower. I seem to get further when the factory is contacted. The dealer threw a fit for me when the fan blew up and they didnt want to replace the radiator just to be on the safe side. After I told the dealer it has less than 100hrs on it and paid 12000 for the mower, what would you like see done with it. Dealer called back same day and said factory told them to replace radiator. Now 6 or 7 gages later, will see what happens!

6. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, i have observed walkers 4 years now . I have comprehensive experience mechanically and own 2x units and looking to buy a diesel .
    1/there r many upgrades 4 walkers including the diesel [if remember correctly there r upgrades 4 the temp guage and or thermatic fan control ]
    2/info from other operators is that the diesel does run on the warmer side of things
    3/190f would be better than 210f
    4/ has the repair shop done all the checks 4 correct operation of the full cooling system .** From your explanation** of the situation The TECH HAS NOT I REPEAT NOT INVESTIGATED PROPERLY

First step would be to actually measure the operating temp independantly of the oem temp guage eg with mutimeter and thermocouple or thermometer in the radiator neck.

If the temp is ok the guage and or wiring r at fault
    Eg remove wire from sender unit and attach guage checker [variable resister] one end to loom and other to earth .Guage checker is set to the resistance that the dash guage should see when it is eg 75f and 150f Resistance at certain dash guage readings r availabe from the guage maker .

If guage fails this test [proving accuracy] this leaves 2x items either guage faulty or the power supply feeding guage is feeding incorrect voltage '

If the guage passes this test the sender unit in the engine is faulty or it is not connecting to earth properly,wiring eg earth strap or the threads have to much sealant on them preventing good contact

The walker techs at my local dealer would not know what a guage checker is !!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomo:waving:

7. Mowing Freak

from S.E. Ks

From what I understand, they have replaced fan control module, thermostat, checked water pump flow, put in 6-7 guages and sending units, new fan (old one had come apart, factory recall), new radiator, and some pulled out hair from me and dealer. Walker wants me not to worry about guage reading and just ignore it. But if I chose, they will figure out the problem. I am still waiting for answers. Talked to Bob Walker today and he wants to help but basically said to just ignore guage reading and depend on light and buzzer if it runs too hot. I said no way. For 12000 I want everything to work. I have a multi-meter with a laser thermometer on it and am going to test it again tomorrow for readings compared to guage readings. I know they will be off as they were the first time I tried this. Before long, may look into Kansas lemon law and see if it covers mowers. I really don't have time to play with this thing. Thats why I bought new!!

8. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, as a short test insert thermocouple under top hose and then operate to operating temp and take reading .
    In another situation i have actually installed a data recording module also [it down loads to computer ]Do not rely on the laser temp reading .

If the machine operates at 210f the cooling system will depend on the radiator cap and coolant to prevent o/heating .
    Rad cap has pressure ,markings on it eg 13 psi [This in turn raises the boiling point of the cooling system above boiling point ]
    Coolant used in the coorect concentration will also raise boiling point .

Just a bit of advice in regards to warning light and buzzer if walker r like most makers . TERMINOLIGY IS ""IDIOT LIGHT"" TYPICALLY THEY OPERATE TO LATE CAUSING DAMAGE .

Thought of another issue i have seen is casting sand from the engine block either sitting in galleries or blocking radiator tubes . Water pumps do have faulty impellors that spin on there shaft also..
    tomo

9. Mowing Freak

from S.E. Ks

I agree on the warning lights but according to Walker, the light and buzzer sound at 230 degrees and engine damage occures at 250 degrees. I dont want to reach buzzer stage if I can keep from it. The dealer and factory told me to compare temps (if I had that ability with laser temp) by shooting the thermostat housing. The antifreeze is new from dealer too. Frustrating isn't it? You have good ideas but I or dealer dont have the nice technology that you talk about like thermocoupler and data recording module. Keep the ideas coming. Maybe there will be one that hasn't been tried yet that will work.

10. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

I can understand your frustration with having a new unit not performing flawless. Has there been any input from the engine manufacturer? The dealer replacing gauge and sending unit more then twice should be a sign that someone hasn’t a clue to what the real problem is. Has anyone checked for an exhaust obstruction? How about injector timing? These two can affect the engine operating temp.

Keep us posted on what you find out, and I agree with you 100%. Main reason to buy new is to avoid troubles. Lets hope they get it corrected before there really is damage.

Regards,

Eric D