Walker Owners ,, ? 4 U

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dogdad, Mar 20, 2003.

1. dogdad

dogdad LawnSite Member

I have a '03 Walker 26 efi 42" ghs,,,,,,,Do any of you use the 52" side discharge deck and how do you like it? Any problems with clogging? I know that the 26 efi is way powerful enough,but wanted your opinions......thanks

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to beat. Mows real well.

3. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We run 52" decks on our GHS Walkers, we got the mulching kit. Its alot louder then the gear box deck (earplugs) We also turn up the RPM on all our mowers for more deck speed.

4. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" sd and it works very well without clogging on my 20hp, couldn't be without it.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Do you expierence any blowout problems with the mulch kit installed? What types of grass are you mowing?

Thanks
    MATT

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am going to demo the 52" deck tomorrow. The rep. for the Walker distributor is bringing one out for me to try on my 20HP Walker. Will let you know how it works out.:)

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Today I got a 52" deck to try on my Walker MT20,GHS machine. The rep. for the Walker dist. brought it out, along with a 26EFI machine.
    I put the deck on my 20hp and went to mowing. I was very impressed with the cut. The deck was a tilt-up, had a single blade on each spindle, and had the mulch baffles installed.
    My 20hp handled the deck even in heavy mulching conditions. In tall wet grass, the 52" deck did a nicer job than my current 42" mulching deck. The 42" deck sometimes loads up with clippings in wet conditions, almost to the point of stalling the engine. Did not have that trouble at all with the 52' deck.
    I did notice that due to the bigger, heavier deck, my machine felt less "nimble'. I can really scoot around and turn on a dime with the 42" deck. With this big deck, the machine was a tad slower at top speed, and did not turn as quickly.
    Overall, I was really impressed with the performance and the quality of the cut I got with the 52" deck. I will probably buy one in the next month or two.
    I also ran the deck mounted to the 26efi machine. Can not say that there was a noticible difference in performance. Certainly not enough to justify the higher cost of the 26EFI machine in my opinion.:D

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The 52SD with doubles is the way to go. That is the setup I use. Never have a need for the mulching kit but I have it. Tilt up is a must.
    The 26EFI may not seem like there is a difference but overall it has more torque at lower revs Max Torque = 41.6 ft-lbs @ 2200 RPM

The 20 has decent torque with 32ft-lbs @ 2500RPM but nowhere near the 26.

The 26 also runs better over a wide range of temps because the mixture is electronically controlled so you don't have the lean outs or rich mixtures that are hard to get away from with a carb. The 20 is a workhorse, don't get me wrong but if you mow a season with a 26 you WILL notice a difference.