Walker owners, convince me!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pj550v12, May 14, 2008.

1. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sort of in the market for a new ZTR. I work closely with Raven386, on these forums and he owns an Exmark which we use, which works fine. The concept of the Walkers however and the praise they get for thier cut impresses me, but I'm just not quite sure its for me for a few reasons.

Number one, say a customer calls me to check out their lawn, its an acre large, hasn't been cut this season and is 8 inches tall. With the exmark, I would got over it a few times, mulch it, and then bag it, and leave me with not that much to dump. With the walker I would have to bag absolutely everything, dumping the hopper every pass or so, and in the end I'm left with more debris to get rid of correct?? This isn't the most likely scenerio, but hey it can come up.

Number two, that a crapload of weight in grass to be picking up and dumping in the truck, the 3 bag collection system allows me to take each bag individually.

Please dont say "hey why dont you just get the exmark!" Obviously I've thought of that. I just want to hear what some others have to say. Scenerio one is the one I'm most concerned with. Thanks.

Raven, keep your comments to yourself . . . lol

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

We own two walkers and no exmarks. Mainly because of our dealer network and walker support around here. I dont know anything about the exmarks and cant comment on them but I know you can change decks quickly (in the field) over to a side discharge deck on the walkers, and a bonus is they fold right up for transport, if thats an issue. Our walkers are great machines and used primarily in high profile settings. Walkers have a high lift option which will dump right into your truck (pricey though) or a two can insert into the catcher to avoid what your concerned about. Hope this helps.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

NO!!!!!

Judas.....

4. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

I own several Walkers all 48" and several Exmarks all 60".
    My walkers are only used on first rate lawns and commercial sites. If you want to bag with an exceptional cut then the Walker is the mower..period.

as far as an 8" lawn, I would have my guys cut it on the walkers highest setting, about 4" and the customer would pay. Probably would use two walkers on the same yard.

5. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I was thinking the same thing when i was in the market of buying a walker. Here is a photo of some work ive done with them. And if you think about it, you will be saving gas aswell, instead of double cutting it with a mulch kit, them you go ahead and bagging it. I would rather push right through the grass and not have to worry about anything but dumping and getting rid of the grass. And if there are woods nearby bring it right over. And the 26 hp EFI is great on gas, and is the best motor that is offered for a Walker! Good Luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

So why don't you cut it with the back open and then bag it on the second pass, you will leave a lot of the clippings dispersed in the turf.

7. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I have to say, they leave an amazing cut! nice pics touchofgrass. the more I look at these the more I want one too! Im getting 1 better than you PJ.... of course...

8. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. Dishboy, I started thinkin about that too, and also I didn't realize they had an option of buckets that fit in the catcher, hmmmm . . . .

9. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

When I use my Walker, I dump into one of these bags and then I can throw it into the back of mhy truck. Bags also work good with my Accelorator baggers for my Toros so I don't have to run back and forth to the truck every timehttp://www.gemplers.com/product/83434/Landscaping-Bag

10. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

Don't let us convince you, test one out for yourself. You will be impressed!!

Don't forget that you could also buy a second deck for the Walker that would allow you to SD or mulch if you would like. 5 min. to change the deck and your ready for the days work. Then in the spring and fall, you can bag the debri easily.