Walker Owners HELP !!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I got a new belt for my Hydro pumps this morning and it does not fit right. I got it from the Walker dealer. The part number is 7248. It's a flat belt with 3 grooves in it. It keeps riding out of the pulleys. The belt that was on it was a V belt with cogs on it. It worked fine but it is cracked in several places. That's why I wanted to replace it. Dealer said they would have to call Walker on Monday morning to find out what's up.
    Do you guy's have any advice? Mower in question is a
    Walker MT-54 Model # is MTSD. It has a 20HP Kolher V-Twin engine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mowman

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What dealer would give you a serpentine belt when you brought in a V-belt? What were you thinking when you attempeted to install this obviously wrong belt? Flags should have come up twice, didn't you see them?

Good Luck, and be safe.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

remove the new wrong belt (that's the engine pully belt) take the old v belt to Napa (even if broken keep it they can measure it ....with a belt gizmo measuring thingy) ...cost about $5 ....I forget the part number an length

4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

mowman...
    You should have the walker book that came with your machine. It lists all the part number with the exploded views of the machine. All walker belts have the part number printed on them, if you don't have this book anymore I suggest you get another one. It will save a lot of heartache down the road when you need to get replacement parts since it seems there is something lost between your explaining to the dealer the part you need and part he thinks you need.

theleven is right about the belts from Napa, get cross-overs and save ALOT of money.

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

The belt you need is the "drive belt" (3vx355) Walker #6231

They gave you the "ground drive belt", micro-v.

[Edited by captdevo on 04-07-2001 at 08:40 PM]

6. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Mowman,

The belt you need is the "GROUND DRIVE" Walker P/N 7232. Or you can use a Gates A45. This is a V-belt.

I upgraded my 96 GHS to use the new micro belts. They seem to last longer and give better preformance. You just have to change the pullys on the hydros. Simple job. No need to have dealer do it.

Jim

7. JJ Lawn

Captdevo,

Well, I hate to tell you this but you are wrong. :) The belt # you gave is the "Engine Ground Drive"(goes from engine to jackshaft) , and the part number you gave is right but, Mowman asked for the "Ground Drive"(goes from jackshaft to hydros) belt which is Walker P/N 7232 for the older model Walkers that used the V-belt.

The belt the dealer gave him Walker P/N 7248 is for Walkers after 96, (I think) My older Walker is a 96 model and it had the V-belt. In 97 I changed it over to use the Micro belt.

I keep all my Walker books.

Jim

8. captdevo

what year mt do you have? I gave you a part #6231 for a v-belt from engine to jackshaft, the #7248 is for a late model micro from jackshaft to hydro.
    jim is correct for older models.
    you would be better off upgrading to a micro.
    sorry, Dave

9. captdevo

yes, i was a little confused.

i keep the books and have access to walker service site online.

7244-1
    Micro-V Pulley Kit
    MD/MT 92-11756 thru 96-24752
    Used for better traction and longer belt life

you were correct about the older models, it would be best to upgrade to the micro.

10. JJ Lawn

How does one get access to the Walker service site?

Jim