Walker owners, Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Martin Mowing, May 22, 2008.

1. Martin Mowing

Martin Mowing LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Need some help with servicing my walker, I purchased it from an individual with 300hrs on it so hate to bother dealers for service questions.

I have the 48 GHS deck. My gearboxes seemed quite noisy so I took the step plate off and checked the fluid level through the little plugs. I just got several drips on my checker so I went ahead and took the four screws out and took the whole plate off. There was probably a quarter inch of gear oil in the bottom of each one. I assume this is not nearly enough. Also one side is somewhat discolored (brownish with lots of bubbles) and the other side looks more normal (black).

Any service ideas for this mower would be greatly apprecitated. I do all my own service and am halfway mechanical(to tight to take it to a dealer:).)

2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher LawnSite Member

3. Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt LawnSite Member

The oil level should be to the top of the horizontal shaft.

4. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 LawnSite Senior Member

80W90 gear oil, let it level off through center gear box (will fill shafts partially) to top of shaft 3/4 way up gear.

5. Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt LawnSite Member

Seems odd with only 300 hrs that the oil would be that low. Just wondering if you have a seal leaking on the bottom of the gear box. When you pull of your blades have you noticed gear oil around the shaft or on your blades.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

At only 300 hours......you better look for leaks.

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I have a MT20 with 245hrs the gearbox's will always make noise; regardless of the hours.

8. Fred B

Fred B LawnSite Member

If they are not the black heavy duty gear boxes then they definatley make more noise. The oil level should be aprox one inch from the top of the box or about half an inch above the horizontal gear shaft. Also take the blades off and see if there is any oil leaking from the bottom seals. If there is it is a simple $10 - $20 fix. Also take the main guard off the gear boxes and check for leaks around bolts on the housing.

9. Martin Mowing

Martin Mowing LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Thanks for the help guys, I found one loose bolt(one of the four that connect one side of the shaft to the box in the center of the deck, that may explain why they were low; However, I am still wondering why one side has the brownish tint to the gear oil, I thought that the oil was free to move from gearbox to gearbox therefore they should both look the same, Right?

This machine looks like brand new but I don't think the previous owner did much service to it other than keeping it clean. In answer to some of the posts, I did not find anything major when taking the blades off to sharpen. There is just a little bit of oil on one of the blades after 10hrs or so of use, is that normal? Here is a pic of it.

Walker  052208 001.jpg

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If it is not leaking oil underneath or onto the deck put some in and let er go. Just be sure you torque those blades properly because if you hit something you can crack those gearboxes and will have to replace them.....it happens a lot.