Walker Owners Help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Aug 18, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I replaced the seal on the box where the PTO shaft slides on the deck and it is still leaking. I noticed when I took off the shaft that a bolt just tightens on to the shaft and not in a threaded hole. The shaft seems to have a small crack in it and was wondering if this could be the reason that the fluid is still getting by the seal? What do you guys think? I think they should have drilled and threaded it for the bolt to go into. It is a 1993 model. Maybe Walker has changed it by now. Any of you had this problem? If so how did you fix it? Thanks for your input. Mowman

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 93 model i just replaced the center box for other reasons. i am not really sure about a crack since this shaft out of the box Is harden steel very strong and solid
    no way for fluid to pass inside.pop the seal back off and look or use a caliper and check the amount of wear on the shaft at the point that the seal rest.it may have worn to much to seal just like a balancer on a car..try going to napa or carqest and get in a "national seal cat. and try to find the same seal with a smaller inside diameter to seal better....or if you inventive you might be able to make a speedy sleave if the shaft is worn by the way the techumci gear box uses national seals good luck hope this helps

[Edited by BUSHMASTER on 08-19-2000 at 10:41 PM]
  3. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Mowman,you may have a worn out bearing behind the seal.My seal went bad due to bearing failure.