Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1993 MT-54 SD mower and I'm wondering how many of you Walker owners have installed the speed-up kit. First, how much does the kit cost? Second, was it worth the investment? Third,how much faster is your machine with it installed? Last, do you still get a Quality cut at the faster mowing speeds?
    Thanks for your advice.
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes we run them on all our Walker mowers! Our cost was $17.00 for complete kit, pully, h/duty spring and set key. It was worth the $17.00 it would be worth 4 times that on my opion. Speed increase from around 1.5 to 2.25 faster which does make a difference. Last quility is unchanged still a gives you that manicured look.

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

It's cheap and the extra speed is nice if you have farther to drive to dump the bin. I actually bought a bigger pulley at a farm supply store to try out, it made about a 4 mph difference but I took it off because the belt length wasn't right anymore, too much pressure on the tensioner. I'm still looking for the correct belt lenght to run it next year.
  5. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

I talked to a Walker dealer who has been around Walkers for 10+ years. He told me that the spped up kit can ruin your engine. The pully puts more stress on the engine which it is not made to take the extra stress. In my opinion it is not worth sacrificing a $10,000 machine to go 2mph faster on your jobs.
  6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

He may have his opion but our distributor has been selling Walkers since 1985 and his opion is, works great only thing wears belt out a little faster 200plus he has sold since they came out with nothing but praise! And no warranty void at all which alone says something.

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

the speed up kit is well worth the price..wouldn't have it any other way and it does not effect the cut if you have sharp blades
  8. cantoo

Mike, you might want to reconsider any info your dealer is giving you if this is his opinion. Walker sells the speed up kit, I got it on my new one from the dealer. Walker would have a hard time saying their speed up kit ruined the motor, the warranty would still cover it. Besides the engine is only $1500 or so to replace not $10000. If it saves you one minute per dump in drive time it wouldn't take long to pay for a new engine. If anything it would be harder on the hydros not the engine.

my 2 cents

[Edited by cantoo on 12-01-2000 at 03:50 AM]
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

A little speed up pulley isn't gonna ruin my 26EFI. That dealer is full of crap.
  10. cantoo

One other thing Mike, ask your dealer to check out this site, maybe he can get some customers from these guys, I think they speed their's up alittle too.