walker owners i need advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Apr 9, 2001.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

im thinking about going solo this year and i was wandering if the walker can replace my employee or will i be behind in my work? right now my employee cuts while i trim and edge, he uses a wb.we put in 5,8hr days.most of the yards are about 5,000 to 20,000 sq ft.

2. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I work alone and with my Walker MT-54 SD I can cut,trim,and edge a lawn of 10,000-15,000 in 30-40 minutes. Less if there is not much edging to do. With the Walker most of your trimming is done with the mower. I will buy the same mower when this one gives out. I cut my mowing time in HALF after getting this mower. Mid-Mounts are good, but you can't trim close to things with them. That's why I like the out front design of the Walker. You can check them out at
    www.walkermowers.com
    Good Luck,
    Mowman

3. bababooie

how many acct. do you have to do per week,and how many hrs per day. i have 72 acct. with half i can use the walker on if i buy one.

4. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

The most I've cut in on day is 12 lawns. They were spread out over a 20 mile area. I did these in about a 12 hour period, that included driving time. If your lawns are close together you could do it by yourself. Depends on how may hours per day and days per week you want to work. As far as trimming and edging, if I had someone do that for me, I could be done with most of my lawns in 25 minutes or less. I guess it's really up to you as if you want all the wealth or weather you want to share it. I really think the Walker would help you out weather you worked along or with a helper.
    Good Luck,
    Mowman

5. theplantdoctor

theplantdoctor LawnSite Member

I say "Go for It!"
    When we got our Walker, it allowed me to eliminate 2 workers. Now, we are a 2 man team and are WAY MORE productive. If I am alone, I can still get the lawns done faster than when we used WB's. You will be surprised at how many properties you will be able to use the Walker on. When I got our first one, I thought that we would only be able to get it on about 60-75% of properties that we do. After we got to know the machine,we now use the machine on over 90% of the properties we maintain.
    We run diesels and recommend them in a second.
    Ken

6. bababooie

why diesel,have you used a gas walker before

7. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i've used the gas (not the liquid cooled gas) and the thing was a PIG on fuel.i can mow all week on less than $10 of fuel with my diesel.if you like to collect the grass than the walkers are the way to go.personally, i have a Toro-z and the walker so i have a choice.

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If the employee is a good worker why don't you keep him and add extra work to fill in any free time the new Walker creates.The Walker will defanetially cut down on your mowing and trimming time but not to the point where you would be better off alone. I am looking for a helper because my mowing only repsents a third of my work load and another set of hands with the extras will make every thing flow smother. Besides, when you get sick or have earrons to run the helper can mow and you stay on schedual.

Gene

9. theplantdoctor

theplantdoctor LawnSite Member

Hey!
    I have never used a gas Walker, but I am quite familiar to diesel vs. gas engines. Economy is a big reason, like another member stated, but these engines are built to last forever. The gas engines have, I am guessing, about a 3000 hour life expectency, (do a search to find out more), and diesel engines from Kubota are supposed to go about 14000 hours. So, overall, economy should be better-less fuel and longer engine life.
    Although more complex, the water cooled engine should hold up better too, than air cooled.
    PLUS-- I think that the diesel engines sound much "cooler" than gas engines.
    I have not read here of anyone having problems with the diesel engines, in any machine, unlike the Kolher engines. Makes me feel better with my choice. Ramble, Ramble, hope this helps.

Ken

10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We use one Walker and several different models of Toro including walk-behinds, Z Masters and a 4WD 325D with a flail deck for road side mowing. If your business is mostly residential the Walker will do fine. It loses some of its edge on larger commercial properties. It just does not have the ground speed of the Toro's. I would strongly recommend the diesel. Much better fuel economy. Also, Walker's will accept many attachments for doing a variety of jobs.