Walker owners, PLEASE READ!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cblackwe, Aug 18, 2003.

1. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

I am in my second season, doing very well, w/ a mix of resid. and commercial. Next year switching to mostly comm. customers w/ subdivision retention basins, and other larger commercial properties. I am seriously considering either a Walker or a Gravely PM260Z for an off-season purchase. QUESTION: Are any of you using the 52 or 62 SD decks on your Walkers?? Most of the complaints I read here about Walkers are related to the deck not doing well w/ wet conditions. I can only afford 1 mower this year but would be buying a GHS w/ the extra SD deck for summer time use. PLEASE NO EQUIPMENT BASHING, just some honest input please!! Thanks. Just wondering how the SD belt driven decks perform on commercial work..
  2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Have both a 52 and a 62. I think the 52 does better than the 62 but we have a old style 62 deck. The newer style 62 does a lot better. In real heavy grass when it gets tall you will have to slow down a little but I think both does pretty good.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I think the Gravely will be more productive in wide open areas and for the larger props. But the Walker would be better suited to the tighter commercials and residentials. Never used the larger decks on the walker , but know you cant mow more than 4 mph on the walker, but the Z's like the Gravely can go quite a bit faster and make a nice cut... I just saw an add for John Deere that said you can mow at 12mph....
  4. cblackwe

cblackwe LawnSite Member

Thanks, that gives a little bit of direction on my choice. Any one else out there with opposing views, please chime in.......Thanks
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I run the 48 GHS deck in the spring and fall for cleanups and then the 52 SD in the summer for all around mowing. The 52 is an awesome deck. Email me if you have any other questions.

TALLEY-HOE Guest

I use both the 52" & the 62" s/d decks. for a big open area use the 62", for all other the 52" desk works great.
  7. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

I use a 20 hp Walker without the GHS. It has a 52" deck with a mulch kit and the all terrain tires on it. It is truly a mountain goat on hills. All I cut is burmuda and it does a wonderful job.

What I don't like is being covered up in dirt and grass from the feet up but I guess that is a trade off for it's low center of gravity and it's hill side climbing ability.

Two weeks ago I found a 2002 Model T GHS 48" for sale. It had 152 hours on it and the man wanted $3100 for it. I ran to the bank and got the cash for it. Now my plans have changed I am going to sell my other Walker with the 52" deck and go get a "Z" mower for my big lawn needs.

I really like the 52" deck but for smaller lawns it is way to big and for biger lawns it is way to slow. Please go and demo one before you buy!!

8. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

I have 4 Walkers, 3 Dixies and 1 Lazer. I love the Walkers but I'm using them less and less. I recommend the bigger faster mowers unless you have very small properties. The 52 with doubles is one of the best decks ever!
  9. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

when you refer to the 52 deck as one of the best, to which 52"
    deck do you refer ?

Thanks, I am in the looking stage for a ZTR and am interested in your opinion.

10. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

The Walker 52" side discharge.