1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker owners...with many hours on your machine...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Oct 18, 2007.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I was wondering how many Walker owners have replaced their "blower fan" (the fan that throws the clippings into the catcher) and how many hours were on their machine when this needed to be done?

Reason I ask is because I have noticed my machine, over the last two years, seems not to be picking up leaves as well. As far as I can tell, it picks up grass clippings as well, but it does seem to get clogged more frequently.

I had to replace the belt that engages the blades a couple years ago. Soon after, it would clog easily when I scalped lawns in the spring. I tightened the idler pulley and that seem to do the trick.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This may sound simple, but have you checked your engine RPM's lately?

This will slow BTS and impeller speed.
  3. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

Places with sandy soil will wear blowers out quicker so hours may not be relevant. Checking engine RPM is a good idea as well as checking all the chutes for holes. Look at the blower impellar and see if the blades are still square with the whole. Worn blowers will have rounded off outside corners rather than squared corners. The blower case can also get grooves worn into it, which will hurt performance. Also make sure the screen in the top of the bagger stays clean.
  4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Try the 3/4" screen, I have an 01 ghs w 450 hrs, I use the big screen all

the time, will be putting on Meg-mos for leaves. Ed
  5. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

about 500 hours on my 2005 Walker when I had to replace it. It was not bagging as well as it used to and showed a lot of wear on the impeller. Also had a groove cut all the way around the housing, it was actually all the way thru in places so it was spraying grass out under the seat and making a mess under there. Also with the way it was wearing it would make the belt slip easily and get clogged easily because the grass and debris was getting stuck between the impeller and housing
    We had an extra dry year last year and a fairly dry year before that so I think this had some to do with it.
    Works great now. My 2007 Walker with the bigger blower and bigger engine will bag much better than it though!
  6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

My Walker is a 1996, I have replaced the blower many times. If you have to replace your blower, upgrade to the 10.5 blower. It makes a big differance.
  7. walker-talker

from Midwest

All sounds like good advice. I will take some pics of the blower tomorrow and post them. I know I should go with the bigger screen. Seems like its always clogged. I forgot to mention, I have a little more than 900 hours on the machine, but (at most) 300 hours was using a 52" side discharge deck (and BTW...it's for sale $1300 with extra belt, blades and mulch kit. It has the new style shaft and tilts up.)

8. walker-talker

from Midwest

Ok....here is a few pictures of the fins on the blower. This first one is the large fins. The blower has a small fin, everyother fin.

9. walker-talker

from Midwest

Here is a pic of the small fin. To me the big fins don't seem to be worn too much. Looks like a little of the corner. Maybe that little bit makes a big difference.

small fin.jpg
  10. walker-talker

from Midwest

While I was out there, thought I would take a pic of the high-lift system that I had installed in the spring. $3000 is a lot of money, but man...is it a back saver.

high lift.jpg