Walker owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnfire, Apr 23, 2001.

1. lawnfire

lawnfire LawnSite Member

I have a 2000 GHS Walker with a 26hp Kohler. I purchased the mower in August of last year, therefore the fescue here in Ga. was drought stricken. Now that spring is here, the fescue is growing good, and healthy. I have noticed the mower missing fescue, even at a crawl. Does fine on bermuda, but my fescue lawns are killing me! I dropped the mower off at my local dealer, and they reported back that all looked fine. Any Ideas!

2. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I can't imagine why your Walker is missing grass. Mine is an older machine and it does fine. Your new machine should cut great.

You probably have checked your blade sharpness, belts, and chutes. How high are you cutting?

Also you engine speed should be at or near full throttle.

I just bought a 48" sd deck for my GHS machine. Everyone says there is worlds of differences between old and new decks. I hope their right.

3. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

What height are you cutting at?
    You aren't too far from me. Have been using a Walker since 95' on fescue and that definitely has not been a problem. Not to say that there hasn't been that one little blade that will pop back up after a pass but mine (42"deck) usually leaves the lawn looking like a carpet when the blades are sharp. I normally cut the fescue at 3 to 3.5".
    Cleve.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

are you using a mulching deck or bagging or side discharging? how tall is the grass you are cutting?

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

are your blades overlapping ??? ...or have the cup blades ends been rounded off too much ??