Walker owners?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Apr 1, 2006.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you guys are running walkers? How do you like them? Anyone running the MT with 26hp and 48in GHS deck? That is the model I'am looking at. Also how do the aerators work the walker sells for this mower? I am running Dixie Chopper's right now and want to get a walker for clean-ups and thatching, and aeration.

2. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

Walkers are the bomb for small to midsized residential or commercial. The 20 HP with the 9 buschel bagger is the one reccommended. Small decks that leave an awesome looking cut and bag all in one. They are also awesome for cleanups with that super strong blower! I am also very impressed with the Hustler walk behind with side bag or just withthe open end. I own a 37 in Husltler Hydro walk behind this thing has an awesome steering system with a handle bar type steering that is so easy to use. I was sckeptical at first but it adapts to the terrain sop good. Why do I like small decks no scalping !!!! Yeah say what you want but the land here in alabama is wierd and I think it needs smaller decks 42 and under. I owned a 48 ZTR snapper and man I killed the lawns with that thing. Walkers are awesome and Husltlers are nicly priced pick your poison

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We moved back to a 36" Walker deck for the reason it will be less likely to scalp. Can't have scalping on upscale properties, especially when mowing new hybrid bermuda.

4. qualitylawnmanagement

Do the 48in GHS decks really scalp that much? I'm using 60's on all my property's besides ten of them.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

non-existant where I live...in 13 full time years, I have never seen one.

6. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

NO the 48s dont scalp much because walker decks are on "forks" which lift them on uneven terrain, YOU CAN scalp if you Want to, but if you know how to read the terrain they are GREAT!

7. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

I own a 26/48 MT. I like the 48 and it does scalp if you know how to mow, but I wouldn't recommend the EFI . They are fine when running correctly, however, most dealers can't fix them so what good is it? Instead of mowing you'll be :walking:

Greg

8. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i just bought my first walker 20hp with 42" deck and big blower and 9.5 hopper wish me luck . glad to hear about problems with 26hp :drinkup:

9. qualitylawnmanagement

So I shouldn't go for the 26hp? Also does anyone run the front mounted thatcher? Also dose anyone have the aerator that walker has on their website?

10. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have an MT20 48" I made my own rake. $110 for a Sears tractor rake

1 piece of Unistrut and 2 U bolts to hold it to the mower. I had the setup

on a 52" Lesco wb before the Walker. I also use Meg-Mos for clean ups.Ed