walker owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnInOrder, Nov 8, 2007.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

i got a 42" walker with a 16hp. my question is when you engage the baldes, how long does it take for the baldes to reach full speed. When i engage my blades on teh walker, it moans a bit and then after 10 seconds it goes to full speed. Is that the clutch pto or is that normal for walkers? also the walker doesn;t pick up leafs off concrete very well. Is this common? let me know.

LawnInOrder

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Shouldn't take more than a few seconds if the machine is good and warmed up. I know mine is sluggish as can be when it's cold! I have to have it at full throttle and then SLOWLY engage the blades when it's cold out and it almost stalls out totally.

The fact that your's is a 16hp dosn't help. Always heard that those were troubled engines, though if yours is actually 17 years old then it has done ok! But I'm sure it's a bit tired as well.

As far as leaves off of concrete, mine both do pretty well. The lower your deck is set the better it's going to suck off of concrete though.

3. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

my walker doesn;t have the lever to engage the blades, it has the pto switch? would take me a difference?

4. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

Sounds to me like it may be time for a new electric clutch. It shouldn't take that long for engagement. You should check the obvious things first. Belts, springs and maybe engine RPM. If The engine runs poorly though, maybe its time for a rebuild or engine replacement. Good luck!

5. OSCLandscaping

OSCLandscaping LawnSite Member

The electric clutch may need to be adjusted. If you have your owners manual it shows where the slots are to insert a feeler guage, then you tighten the nuts until there is resistence on the feeler guage. You have to do each of the three seperately and may have to go around the clutch several times to insure you have all three adjusted equally.

If you do not have the manual you can down load it from Walkers website, they have every owners manual and parts breakdown manual on the web.

Hope this helps.