walker owners?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baddboygeorge, Dec 8, 2003.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

new dealer in town wanted to know if the walker units are good on hills i have some new property this year an need a mower that can handle the hills. please let me know
  2. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

Walker walk-behind or Walker ride on?
  3. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

My walkers are great on hills, but you need the gripper tires that they sell as an option.
  4. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

The turf tires are not worth a nickel on hills, although the all terrian tires (fast trackers) that is a opition are great real aggressive, have to be really careful on nice grass when turning they will rip it good.

5. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

My 52" side discharge Walker is great on hills with the all terrain tires. My model T GHS is awful on hills! Don't get the GHS if you are going to deal with hills.

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Like Coalburner said, the GHS is not real good on hills. The reason is that the weight distribution is different with a Walker. I do use my 42GHS on hills but you have to back up real steep stretches. If you are side discharging the 52 or bigger decks are great. I just have turf tires and don't have problems but there is a learning curve. I have heard rumblings of a 52GHS deck comiong in the future for those who want to bag big but I am not in the market for that.
    The Walker has its place and if you have an option to demo one on your hills then by all means do it. We can tell you how it works for us but I am not cutting your lawns. BTW here is one of my hills that the Walker does.

bellefall02 003.jpg
  7. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that the tail wheel lock does help in holding sideways travel on hills but 4 years ago it was a $300.00 option. I have no idea what it costs now.
  8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

No three wheel machine is good for hills. Not saying they will not work, but they will not work as well as a more stable four wheel machine. On my contracts with slopes I use a Z Master and the Walker stays on the truck.
  9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

My Walker works fine on hills. Takes some getting use to but once you do it's no problem!!!!!
  10. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

My 48" ghs is horrible on hills. Just turf tires though.