walker owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ashs inc, Feb 12, 2005.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

Diesel or 26 hp EFI??

42 inch deck or 48??

we have Scag walkbehinds love them but I want to make the move to a walker we have a tank thats a 1997 36 14 hp kohler scag. ITS awesome just getting old and slow! The 48 is sometimes a little large on my yards. just some input would be great!
  2. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

Me, I would go with the 25HP Liquid cooled. I think this motor will far outlast the EFI. Decks, depends. I got a 42", I get though alot of gates a 48" can't. But from what I hear, a 48 really can save you some time
  3. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

Ash Inc

I to am looking at the same type mowers. It sounds like the 25hp Kohler is the way to go, I'm wanting a 48" deck. I am looking at Bob-cat, eXmark navigator and Walker. The Bob-Cat ZT-125 is $ 2,000 to $ 3,000 less than walker or eXmark. Very very close to the same mowers. I have found the Walker and eXmark cost about the same for 05 models.

Good luck on your purchase.
  4. mrgreeninc

mrgreeninc LawnSite Member

I have a 2000 Walker with the 26efi and I got 2300 hours out of the motor. I could have rebuilt it but the new efi's are far more advanced so I just put a new motor in. I also have a Scag Turf Runner and a 1999 Walker with the 25 Kohler. I would never go with anything but Walker again. The diesel is by far the most fuel efficient. My 99 walker uses 1/3 more fuel than the 2000 doing the same thing. Both of my Walkers are right around 3000 hours and still run like new. If you have the money for the diesel definitely go with it.

5. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i have a friend that bought the bobcat mower you are refering to and it has been nothing but but trouble for him. seems like he has had a problem with about everything on it. i looked at them very close. they are appealing for the price. i have a walker mt/20 hp that has served me well so far. i understand the need for more horsepower is for a larger deck or additional attatchments. the 20 horse mower will run a 48 in. deck with no problems and does pretty good on gas. i dont know anything about the new exmark but it does look good.....
  6. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

By all means if you have the money go for the diesel. I have the 20 hp and a 48" deck and it does just fine, but if I would have had the money I would have most deffinetly gone for the diesel.
  7. zamboni

zamboni LawnSite Member

I have a Walker MT 42", 20 hp. I figure it can can get me into tighter areas. Saving 5 min. per lawn is no big deal to me. I can't wait until Spring.