1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Perfaerator and trailer!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Northern, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Northern

Northern LawnSite Member

I got my new walker perfaerator a few weeks back. I have only done a few lawns and now the tines don't lift up enough to get off my ramp. I ended up tweaking the arms that lift the tines as they jammed in the trailer trying to get it unloaded. I am now out beating the heck out of a brand new machine with a sledge hammer to try and fix it. Not to mention that after the first lawn half the nuts came loose. Anyways for three grand I think the thing should be able to back off a trailer and not fall apart in the first week although my dealer seems to disagree. Anybody else had thins problem???
  2. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

YES!! exact same problems! Really ticks you off that the nuts all come loose. I also had several battles with getting the thing either up or off the trailer. Backing up it is the way to go...you might need to adjust the screw the goes from the engage arm to the tines. It is at the bottom of the lever you pull to raise the tines you can take up a little slack there and it should make loading at least possible.

For what it is worth...I LOVE the way this machine rips through an aeration job...especially large areas, but make sure all breakable sprinklers are marked...it will destroy anything it runs over!

If I had my choice to give it back for the $$ or keep it i think I would give it back. I don't do that many huge properties and I just feel that this machine will continue to eat itself apart. I'm on the third gearbox...
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Thanks for the info.
  4. Northern

Northern LawnSite Member

I took up all the slack in the pull arm and I actually took out the four swivel arms and removed the nuts and tighten them all the way to make them as short as possible. Now the thing pulls the tines all the way but still lets them fall all the way forward.

I called Walker and there have been either one or two recall bulletins on them. The latest one I believe deals with all the loose nuts and bolts and busted gearboxes. I think they will replace your gearbox for a heavy duty gear box. Unfortunately my dealer dosen't notify me of recall bulletins so I had to figure this out by contacting Walker myself.

I must say that when I can get the machine off the trailer it does a great job. I just hope I don't have the gearbox problem that you have had. That gearbox looks like it is probably a bit more expensive than the deck boxes.
  5. Currier

I had bought mine when they first came out last year. The original gearbox only lated a few lawns, they replaced it with the heavy duty. Then over the winter there was a recall for the gearbox and the foot rests so the gearbox was changed again. Seems to be working real well so far this year.

I'd stay on that dealer. This is an expensive machine and the manufacturer is backing it up with recalls and repairs. The dealer drops the ball and you end up paying down the road.
  6. Northern

Northern LawnSite Member

I guess the dealer is going to replace the gearbox and whatever else the upgrade kit includes. Unfortunately I don't think that is going to help getting the thing on and off my trailer without continually damaging the aerator and my trailer ramp. I adjusted as far as I could and it still managed to get caught on the ramp. It was all I could do to get it free. It appears that Walker is aware that this has been an issue but I have yet to hear how this is supposed to be dealt with. I guess I will have to figure something out or this thing isn't going to last more than a couple more trips up and down the ramp. My trailer sits at 18 inches off the ground and my ramp is a little over 4 feet. I didn't think that was all that steep. I don't know, maybe it is.........
  7. Currier

One thing you could do...not ideal but it would work, is to put a block in front of the tires (and behind) and unhook from your truck. When you pull towards the back of the trailer it will dip considerably. I'm not sure I would try it with a single axle but a dual axle trailer could probably swing it. It sure would look awkward and not real professional maybe but it could be a temporary solution.
  8. Northern

Northern LawnSite Member

I have a single axle trailer and I tried it once. The trailer tipped back and rolled forward. I almost rode the wheelie over the three foot retaining wall into the yard. I don't think I will be trying that again. :)

I am thinking about putting larger wheels on the back of the aerator. Those are there so that they should roll over the ramp without letting the tines touch but they are apparently are not big enough. I had the thing adjusted to pull the tines up as far as they would go but when I tried it on the trailer it got caught and bent it back out. I wish they would have made the aerator a few inches longer to allow the tines to come up almost parallel to the ground.

I thought this thing was going to save me time but I have spent more time working on it than using it.
    Maybe i'll stick in the corner of my shop, might make a nice shelf...
  9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

What if you build a ramp extension that will extend the ramp out whenever you use this machine and can easily be taken off later on. Longer ramp equals less angle getting off the trailer.
  10. Northern

Northern LawnSite Member

Actually, that is not a bad idea!!! Although I still think that the aerator should have been designed so that the tines tuck up completely out of the way. I mean not only is the attachment somewhere between $3000 and $3600, but by the time I stick a Walker mower behind it I have essentially a $14,000 aerator. I guess I just don't think I should have to monkey with it that much. Anyways, don't get me wrong I do appreciate the suggestion, I think I might give that a try. Thanks!