Walker Perfaerator VS JRCO Hooker, in 'my' situation? Or??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mountaineer, Jul 12, 2008.

1. mountaineer

mountaineer LawnSite Member
    from WA

The commercial lawns I maintain have plenty of tree roots, trees (maneuvering), uneven ground etc. They 'look' like beautiful lawns but they can be tricky to maintain. I have been using an old Bluebird aerator and it plugs right on through it all. Has for years. It won't die. I love the job it does, but there is way too much to aerate by hand now- a ride- on attachment really is required.

So I bought a brand new Hooker in spring, the spoons were breaking off it left right and center. The don't bounce off roots they break. The video clip on their site makes it look easier than it is to turn. It gets hung up really easy. You need more patience than it is worth- at least in my situation. It's probably great on a sports field type situation.

Any idea on how the Perfaerator would do here? It's near double the price. Yet of similar price as a walk behind Bluebird.

Or... any other ideas for me? I have 15-18 acres of aeration to do, most having plenty of "lawn trees", roots, slopes etc that need excellent maneuverability.

THANKS for any tips!

2. mountaineer

mountaineer LawnSite Member
    from WA

Bump...
    Or is there a better forum for this question?

3. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

Washington?? The home of compost tea. Learn about it and use it and you will never have a thatch problem again. I too had a thatch problem - until I started brewing tea. Now the microbes eat it and no more thatch problems. Synthetics create compaction and you have to aerate.

Sorry to hear about the hooker. Looks like a quality unit. Why don't you call them and tell them to get some carbon steel tines that don't break - sounds like a poorly built unit. I have turf revitalizer for power seeding and hit concrete sometimes and it saws it up - I hit roots all the time and they never break - wear down over time but don't break - they are high quality carbon steel - like good mower blades or the tines on your old blue bird.

4. 2stroke

2stroke LawnSite Senior Member

im in the market for the Walker unit also. my dealer quoted me $3950 today. i have used it befoore and it does a fine job.

5. JRCO

JRCO Sponsor

Mounatineer,

Please contact us. We just haven't been experiencing those types of problems with tines breaking and whatnot. I'm sure we can help you.

Were you running the aerator with the deckless aerator mount we make for Walker mowers? It greatly improves maneuverability on the Walker units rather than mounting it out in front of the mower deck.

Thanks,
    Bill
    800-966-8442