1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker pistol or t-bar?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Nov 22, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

What is better on a walk behind mower???

T-bar or the pistol grip method??? I'll be using it for 5+hrs a day...
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

t-bar. I didnt think so at first, but if you use it for awhile i think you will agree.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have both and I prefer the T-BAR over the pistol grip any day
  4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

If you want arthritis in your fingers than go with the T-bar.
  5. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

Excuse me, if you Don't want arthritis, tha go with the T-bar
  6. gocards

gocards LawnSite Member

You'll love the T-bar alot more than the Pistol Grips. But if you have the opportunity to get an Exmark, then that would be better. The ECS controls are real nice after a long day of work. Oh yeah, and get the hydro!
  7. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmmm.. ECS what does that do? I've read it, some enhanced control system or whatever....

Looks like the pistol grip to me ... ;)
  8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I perfer the T-bar. After mowing for a while, (to me) the t-bar is a lot more comfortable. At times you can also control the machine with one hand in the center of the t-bar.
  9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The BEST controls on a walkbehind is the hUstler H-bar.
    easiest to learn and use.
    Nothing else comes close.
  10. apolooza

apolooza LawnSite Member

I have spent 12 years devoted to the t-bar as I hate pistol grips. I have now made the switch to the Hustler (purchased 2 last week). It is easier, faster, cuts and bags better, less parts and less parts to break, and is built like a tank. In 3 months the bar will break, guaranteed. $45 to replace, a hassle to weld, or just bunjee it down like we have ended up doing. Leaving Toro was tough, but the Hustler is a much better machine. I was also looking at the Wright Velke, but once I saw the Huslter I was done looking.

However, if I would choose a better built pistol or a Toro with a t-bar, I will choose the t-bar.