1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WALKER power - Kohler Aegis or Kubota gas triple ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BobR, Mar 7, 2003.

1. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Have read the threads and have question's for the Walker owners of the Aegis Liquid cooled or Kubota gas powered units.

I know the Aegis is new but are there any glaring or anticipated problems?
    The Kubota has been around for a while do you find any lack of power when using the 42" 2 stage snow blower ?
    How is cold weather starting (-20° is not unusual here)?

I am looking into doing more with less equipment, at this time I have a Toro 150 Z with a bluebird collection system, JRCO tine rake and electric spreader + a Toro T-Bar 20hp 52" Hydro WB with Trac Vac collection and JRCO mounting bar. My Wish List is the Walker MTL GHS 48", 52" side discharge, tine dethatcher and 42" snow blower + a Walker walker with a 36" side discharge. GHS to be used for Spring & Fall cleanups.
    From what I have read I believe the Walker will give me the quality cut that I and my customers are looking for, the demo will answer that question.
    Answers, suggestions or comments welcomed.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

The 52" SD deck is awesome. I am running it with a 26hp EFI Kohler. I personally would rather mulch and keep the Walker for collecting when I need to (spring and fall). I had thought about buying the Walker walk behind, but went with Exmark instead with no regrets.

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Are any Walker walk behinds available for demo yet?
  4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

the gas rig will be better starting in cold temps. most diesel owners plug in thier rigs in the winter. the aegis is a pretty new design, all things equeal, older design engines have less "new"problems because most of the bugs have been caught and fixed.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I run diesel walkers, ands have never had a problem starting them in the cold. I have used gas before, and the diesels are more fuel efficient, and last alot longer.

As far as the walker walk behind, my dealers keeps pushing me to demo one. It just doesn't look like it's for me. I'd rather run a good ol' Scag. :cool:
  6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Just visited the Walker web site and saw my dream machine it's the 'MTLEFI29' which will be available 'late summer'.. Best of both worlds EFI for economy and Liquid cooled for longevity plus 29 HP and best of all if falls into my 'time frame' for a mower replacement.. Still going to demo but this looks like the one..