Walker Power Options

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by timberman1969, Apr 14, 2008.

1. timberman1969

timberman1969 LawnSite Member

I am looking at a new Walker mower. Is the Kubota Diesel or the Kholer 31hp liquid cooled worth the difference in the air cooled kholer 26hp? Any input would be much appreciated.

2. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

You will not see any difference in economy between the 26 and the 31 gas. The diesel will be a little better on economy. The air cooled is much lighter and will be better on hillsides. I have never used a 31, but it looks cool. I would go 26 efi due to less parts, cheaper price, less weight, and same economy as 31hp.

3. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

The 26 EFI unit will be more than enough power for virtually anything you would do with a Walker. The Kubota unit is nice but perhaps a bit more overhead than you need this early in your career!

4. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Just because he has 1 post doesn't mean he is new to lawncare.

5. karrotjuice

karrotjuice LawnSite Member

31hp mtl gets you +2mph on top speed w/ steering dampers (something you cannot get w/ a 26 even w/ the speed up kit).... and no more cooling fins to clog w/ crap.

I just swapped out my 2 mowers to 31 mtl's this year..... huge difference. And btw... during clean-ups and dethatching pick up I've bogged the heck outta the 26efi... the 31 is perfect (although still boggs just a tad in wet leaves).

6. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree that the 31 has a noticeable gain in power over the 26. I also like the extra speed of the MTL. I've been runnin 26's for years and still think there great. The 31 just plain kicks azz in the spring! For most situations the 26 has plenty of power. One a side note, I also am running a new 52" collection deck on my 31 this year. I mowed a lawn yesterday that was clogging my 26 with a 48" deck. This was a new customer and their lawn was really tall, thick, and wet. The 52" deck did not clog 1 time. I was truely amazed. I think it has to do with the size of the opening on the decks where the grass is sucked into the blower. the 52's opening is actually smaller than the 48. The 48 kept clogging right at the opening and the 52 didn't. Walker says they made the opening smaller to reduce clogging on the 52. I'd have to say they were right on the money. Both of these mowers also have the new larger blower. I don't think horsepower was really a factor because neither the 26 or 31 was really bogging at all.

7. karrotjuice

So ya did like the 52 in tall grass huh?

I've only tested it in leaves and dry debris (thatch clean up).... and didn't like it as much as the 48's vaccuum. I got a lil bit of blow-out on the sides... where as the 48 will suck leaves in from an inch or 2 away from the outside of the deck.

I've been debating on whether or not to trade up now or wait till the grass gets thick up here to give it a real test. Hmmm...

8. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed the blowout when sucking up some leaves on a driveway today! It doesn't affect the cut in the grass but on the pavement I think your right. Another thing I like about the 52 is the cut on the outside edges of the deck. On the 48's they always left the grass a little higher on the outside edges of the deck if the grass was tall. The 52 leaves a smooth cut from edge to edge. I was really surprised by this. I've only been mowing with the deck for 2 weeks but so far I like it better than my 48's. I've also been thinking about why it leaves a better cut on the outside and I think it's the reverse direction of the blades. When moving forward the deck pushes the grass forward and down. The deck has to stand the grass up to cut it. On the outside edges of the 48 the blades are moving forward, which is the direction the grass is being pushed down. On the 52, the blades travel the other way and help to stand the grass up and cut it.

9. karrotjuice

Yes they do go the other way... but if you think for a minute, by counter rotating to the outside, they are traveling in the opposite direction of the stripe. (or the opposite direction that you are moving).

So they would push the grass backward, no? My dealer was talking about how walker designed this deck because the center area wasn't getting cut properly when moving faster on the 48". (because the blades were spinning toward the back in the center).

Idk.... maybe I'll keep one to experiment in the heavy spring grass.

10. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that the 52 would stripe even BETTER because you are pushing forward for the lighter stripe anyway, right??? that is why people add rollers.