Walker Price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kaufmaninc, Mar 29, 2003.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

I've got a chance to get the 2001, 20 hp, 48" GHS mower with 525 hrs. The mower looks & functions like new. I believe it can be had for $5000. He bought a new one & needs to get rid of.

The reason I'm looking at is for the Spring/Fall clean ups. With the option of purchasing the SD decks, this seems to be a good choice except for the SLOW SPEED! Man...I drove this week & I had to set stakes to make sure I was moving.

My ? is this. I'd really like to get the TTHP 17/48 but this will do what it will do for roughly the same price & I can set down.

Most of the yards I care for are flat with a few hills that I would be not scared to take any ztr on.

What would you do in this situation. I really need help with this decision & fast!

Thanks in advance
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I've got the same mower and I love it. I bought it last year for $8400 +-. The speed is a little slow but Walker does offer a speed up kit for them. I'm getting one this year. It works great for fall-clean-ups. Sound like a good price but I'd wonder why he got a new one if it is in such good shape. See if he'll let you take it to your local dealer to check it over. Good Luck!!!
  3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Paid 7700 for a 2001 leftover 14 hrs. Arkitec on turfquip sometimes has used Walkers. Ed
  4. kaufmaninc

LB..was that a new mower?
  5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I just don't see many ways to be proiftable with a Walker...
    They cost a lot, I haven't heard much good about the dealers, they don't offer a wide cut, and they just don't make good time.

I could only see them as profitable on smallish (1/2 acre - 3/4 acre) jobs that are in upscale neighborhoods that are willing to pay premium rates for bagging and debris collection.

Just my $.02 but my style is to go into a 3 acre prop with my 11' JD 1600, Plus a 60" trim mower, and a guy on a weed wacker. Leave said property 45 minutes and $250 later.

6. kaufmaninc

I'm struggling to. It'll work great for fall/spring clean ups but you can also get a 52 or 74" side discharge deck with them. Couple that with a speed up kit, rough 6.5 7.0 mph & this seems like a really good combo. Yes they are expensing. I'm not convinced that's why I'm posting this.
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

GREAT price for the best finish mower on the market (IF YOU NEED TO BAG) like our zone does!
  8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

kaufmaninc, yup it was brand spakin new!!!!