Walker problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bligh61, Jun 28, 2006.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

OK, today my 20 hp 2001 walker mower ran great. After 8 lawns in a row I shut down the machine. Wouldnt start, checked all the safetys, seemed ok. The starter relay would click but no start. Then it would start, no click. Shop said relay might be bad, returned and replaced it, now it seems like a dead battery. please, any help is appreciated. Battery is less than a year old. Tried charging it same problem.

2. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

alternator thats what it sounds like to me. did you check the charge of the battery? if it's dead have the alternator checked i have seen this before on many a tractor

3. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

What is your cranking voltage? That is, with a voltmeter measuring voltage at the battery posts, _NOT_ on the cable ends but on the posts themselves, while someone engages the starter.:drinkup: :usflag:

4. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

As posted previously, check voltage across the posts on the starter before the key is turned (should be 12v) and then when the key is turned to start (SHOULD BE 0 v). If the voltage doesn't go to zero (solenoid pulls in and closes switch) then check the voltage between the solenoid terminal (spade terminal) and ground when the key is turned to start. If there is not any voltage then you can run a wire directly from the battery to this terminal to test. Just touch the wire to the terminal to see if it makes the starter turn. If it does, then you have a safety switch acting up or a bad relay. If the voltage to the starter solenoid is 12V when the key is turned then you probably have a bad solenoid. I have had some very frustrating problems with Kohler starters on my Walker's after 800-1000 hrs. I tried cleaning the starters and also replacing the solenoid. They would work intermittently. I talked to a friend who is a really good mechanic and who works on huge generators for TVA. He said it might be a problem with a glaze developing over the brushes because of heat, but I never tried that because it is so much work just to swap starters that I was tired of trying to fix it when a complete fix is less than $150. I have had the best luck just replacing the starters when they begin acting up. I have bought the latest one on Ebay for about $110 and I was well pleased. To work on the starter it is best to remove the blower housing, so you can take the starter on and off without having to remove the engine.

5. thecrankshaft

thecrankshaft LawnSite Member

What engine?

6. Jim@MilkyWay

..."As posted previously, check voltage across the posts on the starter before the key is turned (should be 12v)"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As mcambrose mentioned, the starter voltage checks are going to ultimately diagnose the problem. The battery voltage check is just a first place to start. If the battery is going south and you don't know it, then bad/low voltage readings, under load at the starter or anywhere else could be confusing.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I never thought about this much but if the charging module on motor is bad will the unit run off the battery?

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

the battery is only used to start it. it runs off the magnets on flywheel. i would suggest you make sure your ground from battery to frame is clean, first.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

So will a Walker run off the battery without the magneto/coil working like a car?

10. Jim@MilkyWay

Your battery is only used for starting; (well, sort of) your charging system, while it is _intended_ for charging the battery will operate efi and/or any kind of processors etc. Further, until the battery dies, if your charging system goes south, your electronics will not "see" any difference in voltage whether from the battery or charging system.
    The magneto/coil components of the ignition system, however supply high voltage to the plugs and your motor will not operate without high voltage.