Walker problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnfire, May 18, 2001.

1. lawnfire

lawnfire LawnSite Member

I have a very frustrating problem. While mowing with my 2000 GHS Walker, if I hit rough terrain, and jar the mower, I have a complete power loss. Almost as if the battery cable disconnected, but I have checked that connection. I have winched it on my trailer 3 times, all 3 times, just this movement connects whatever is shorted out, and the thing fires right up. Any ideas ? I have checked the safety switches also.:

2. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

Never had that happen, man.

You have probably checked it but how about the switch on the seat. I assume it dies while mowing. Sometimes, my would cut out and stop on rough terrian and it was the safety switch on the seat. It wouldn't die if the deck was not engaged.

Also, may be something is loose and hitting the underside of the body. Your battery tied down with that strap. Check to see if you see spark or other marks on it.

May sound stupid but mine did once. The tie down strap they put on it was loose and hit the underside of the body. Also, saw once that the module between the starter and the switch was rubbing on the body, cause it was loose.

Also, have a fuel pump do that to me, but it necer restarted without replacing it.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of engine? Not that it matters much.
    Safety switches can be tricky. You might not think its a switch , when it is.
    Ignition switch also.
    I would check the seat switch real thoroughly. Take it off and tape it shut and try it over this terrain, the thing to remember is that if you fall off you may end up shreaded and buried in multiple caskets.
    Seriously, I had a poorly adjusted seat switch from the factory on my 2000 26 EFI. I had to adjust it myself and glue it in place. It was fine on level ground but when I bumped, I would lose power. I also have an upgraded seat which is thicker than the factory. It hasn't missed a beat yet.
    Good Luck. Let us know what you find.

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

It definately sounds like the seat switch.
    Walker has a new switch you could replace yours with, or adjust yours to be less sensative.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

My diesel Walker would die whenever I cut on a sidehill leaning to the fuel tank side. I fooled around with it for weeks until my wife finally made me take it to the dealer.. It was the seat switch, when I leaned a little the one way it would shut off the engine.. Replace the switch amd see what happens.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If it isn't the seat switch, check the ignition switch too. I've see the connectors get corroded and cause some strange things too. Someone had similar problems and I suggested the ignition switch and that was the problem. Keep this in mind if all else fails. :)

7. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

I heard of the relays going, You might want to check those

8. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i'd remove ALL those damn saftey switches.and just run it that way.(unless you have idiot helpers then leave them on).

9. slabpile

slabpile LawnSite Member

i had to remove safty switch on the seat because when i went down the a hill it would shut off because i did ot weigh enough. you mihgt also check the safty on the pto lever. often it would stick on me and the walker would not start. so if you go if you go over rough ground and it shuts down because of the seat the pto safty may be stuck in causing it to not start, and by the time you get it to the trailer it has worked its way out.