Walker Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Royal Oaks, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Royal Oaks

Royal Oaks LawnSite Member

Has this happened to anyone else? I bought a 26 EFI Walker a couple of months ago and have found it to be a nice machine to operate until yesterday. I was mowing for about an hour and then a heavy shower hit. I only had a little bit more to mow to finish so I carried on. I felt the Grass shute block but as I was cutting high and only had one run to finish I thought what if a bit of grass gets chopped and left on the ground, next thing theres a hell of a noise under the deck so I disengage the blades and switch off. I lift the deck and one blade has dropped down a bit and is jammed against the bottom of the deck and has gouged some of the bottom of the deck. I got a small hammer and gave the tip of the blade a hit and back it popped into its proper position. The mower has only done 22Hrs so I rang the dealer and he is coming to try to sort it tomorrow. Cost me $ NZ 24,800 so I would have to say I am a little bit annoyed. Any ideas?

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have the same machine with a 42 GHS deck and I'm thinking that you may have packed alot of wet grass under the blade and flexed it. I have gouged the side of the deck by running into things that were hiding but that is a different story. The other question I have is did the two screws on the blade shear? Those little screws are the first line of defense in protecting the blade gear box and they are supposed to shear when the blade hits resistance.
    I have learned that mowing with a GHS in very wet conditions is not something to do. On the other hand a 52SD with double blades is the tool for me. I used to bag everything and then I found the 52SD. Now I only use the GHS for spring clean/dethatchings and some limited fall leaf cleans. When your dealer pops by ask him if you can demo a 52SD deck for a day. . Good Luck.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Might want to check you shear bolts, just in case. I was zipping around a side walk the other day and caught the edge. It dented my deck and one of the blades gouged into the side of the deck. It broke off both shear bolts and on the other blade it bent them pretty good. I was happy not to damage the gears. Took a sledge hammer to the deck and good as new. As far as your blade dropping down....keep us informed....I am curious!!!

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had just about every problem you could imagine with a Walker, but have never had that happen. Like was said, check your shear pins.

5. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I certainly respect your decisions to buy Walker, and I know they have a niche, but man they seem to be tempermental little rascals. Do the other brands of dedicated baggers have these problems?

6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

It almost sounds like either the nut holding the blade on loosened enough to allow the blad to partially slip off the groove that holds the blade on, or one shear pin may have broken and the build up of grass (or some object in the lawn) may have forced the blade down. The unnatural angle of the blade then slammed into the deck.

The blades do fit into a "lock" type groove. I wonder if somehow the nut holding the blade on had come loose but the heavy wet grass held the blade up into position. Maybe a dip in the lawn (or something) then let the blade drop and it hit the deck??

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes they are tempermental. Mine stays in the shop more than it stays on the turf. I have been hearing good things about the Toro out front Z. They had some bugs the first year, but seem to have taken care of the problem. When I retire the Walker (soon I hope) I will give one a try. My decision to go with Walker was the worst one I have ever made. They have cost me several large accounts due to excessive down time.

8. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

I hit a rock and it pushed the blade into the deck where it got wedged. The shear bolts failed to shear and it took out my gear box. After I got over being pi$$ed I read the owners manual and it clearly says to torque the blades to 60 foot pounds. I used a air impact and it defeated the shear bolts. :nono:

Coalburner

9. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

Good idea with the impact wrench... now your are sure to screw up your gear box the next time you hit something.

I hit a hidden rock with my 48 GHS and it split the rock and picked it up and through it in the shute to the impleller on the blower. Luckily the shear bolts did there job and saved the gear boxes.

10. PKB005

PKB005 LawnSite Member

DON'TGET DOWN ON WALKERS. ALL MOWERS HAVE DOWN TIME AND MECHANICALS. FIX THE SHEAR PINS AND GO MAKE SOME $$. WHEN SPRING TIME COMES AND YOU SUCK UP ALL OF YOUR THATCHING WITH THE WALKER ASK THE BOYS WITH THE TOROS HOW THEY ARE MAKING OUT RAKING UP ALL THE THATCH BECAUSE THE TORO DOES NOT HAVE THE SUCTION FIGURED OUT YET