Walker purchase ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jason r., Apr 25, 2004.

1. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I've been dying to get a Walker mower for a while now and ran across an old one recently. Not sure of the year model but this is what I do know:
    Model; M 36-42
    Engine; Kohler Magnum 16
    Deck; 42" (not a flip up)
    Hours; 485 residential hours
    Serial # ; D-407628
    Price; $2,500
    Runs excellent and looks good but doesn't bag well because the chute from the deck to the impeller is old and worn through. I would think that's an easy fix???

Anyone think this is a bad deal or good deal? Anyone know what year Walker stopped using the Magnum engine or making the Model M 36-42 units??

Pics to follow....

ring 007.jpg

2. jason r.

Model M 36-42 Anyone know when they stopped making this model Walker?

ring 005.jpg

3. jason r.

Kohler Magnum 16. Anyone know if I can fit a 42" flip up mulching deck on this model???? Thanks for any help. Only have a day or two to decide to purchase or not.

ring 012.jpg

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on the Walker, thats an old dog but at those hours its a decent deal.
    The chute is an easy fix that will cost ya about 40 bucks. Just realize that it isn't a commercial version of a Walker but it still is a good mower. Use it for a while and then step up to an EFI unit. There really is an amazing difference but I have to say you did good with this one.

5. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

I would not get the 16 hp for any thing commercial....It is to small and not enough power for that deck to be used commercially. By the time you get a new/used deck...which I dont believe would fit....and new parts you would have quite a bit more money in an old machine. Let me know( PM me) if you might be interested in a newer one 26 efi ghs 48 inch...i might be interested in selling mine at some point in the near future....

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

jason, buy it for a starter model and trade it in on a newer one at a dealer. I would double check the hour meter because if the chute is worn out I would think that it has more hours on it. Check the levers and foot rests for wear this will be a better indicator of actual hours on the machine. Don't spend the money for a new deck just use what's on it until you can upgrade. I have a spare Walker with the diesel in it that I haven't even used in 3 years.

7. jason r.

Ended up offering 2k for it and the guy took it. The chute wasn't actually worn through but the end of it was damaged causing the discharge to go back on the ground in stead of the hopper. $32.50 later and it's doing wonderful. Double checked the hour meter, handles and foot rests and everything looks to have less than 500 hours of wear. My lazer hp has about 500 hours on it and it shows about the exact kind of wear. So far I'm happy with it!

ring 020.jpg

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Hey man, congrats! Only downfall I see with it is now you have to BAG! hehe

Man, if we got together, we could knock out some yards!

9. jason r.

Actually I used it today and just left the back open and rear discharged. It did great so long as I wasn't cutting off to much grass. Some of the thicker areas I had to go over twice to disperse the clippings a little better. Man, this thing really has a remarkable quaility of cut! Very happy so far. Couldn't imagine how nice a brand new efi feels:dizzy:

10. jason r.

It's nice to finally have a mower with some trim side ability too.

ring 021.jpg