1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Question 20hp -vs- 27hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Nov 25, 2004.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready to buy another Walker. The local dealer has two (2) model T's with 20hp, speed up kit and 9.5 hopper. They have had them for a while and are willing to sell one for $9200 with tax out the door. It has the 48" GHS Deck.

We have a 1998 Model T with the 25hp and we just rolled 2000 hours on the unit. The motor is done for finely and we are going to rebuild it. However we now have enough business to justify the cost of a second Walker in our high end properties.

My question to those of you that run Walkers is this: How do the 20hp units do as a comparison to the 27hp unit and is the extra 7 hp worth the $2200 for the extra 7hp?

I know this is Thanksgiving but since looking at the new unit yesterday I can pick up the new machine tomorrow morning.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL and many more to come. My it be very GREEN for you and your families.
  2. lawncat

lawncat LawnSite Member

More power equals better pickup capacity--less clogging--better blower sp-eed--go for the power! You need only run them side by side to see more is better
  3. ztrlvr

ztrlvr LawnSite Member
    from US

Walker MT's come as 20HP, 25HP Liquid, 26HP EFI. This coming fall we should see a 29HP Liquid EFI. That 26 HP EFI rocks
  4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both n the EFI is much better .... can't say if the difference is worth $2200 thou

Can't the larger engine fit into the dead 25 .... maybe replace that

I know I have a dead 20hp that I'm replacing with a 25 this winter ..... but we mulch .... when I did bag the 20hp worked great ....but did clog n if the leaves were wet it missed some n than with the hopper full the 20hp would kinda struggle to get to the dump area
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Wonder what the MSRP on the 29 EFI will be.
  6. lawncat

lawncat LawnSite Member

As of today, the current dealers information has no mention of the 29EFI, so I would not hold my breath. There is only a 1,000 difference in retail between the 20 and the 26 EFi and worth every dime IMO
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

For $1000 more the 26 hp efi is definately better than the 20 hp. It starts easier, has more power and burns less fuel. Definately worth it IMO.
  8. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all of the replys. We are going to hold out for the EFI 29 hp.
  9. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

This is a great topic, I hope more guys write in!!! :blob3:

We have the 20 HP GHS. It works fine for us and only clogged when we rushed the unit. The only why I could see the extra HP helping us is if the RPM was higher causing the impeller to turn faster. Guys who use the machine for snowblowing and such might notice a difference but I did not notice it when mowing. We had to use the dealers loaner (which was a 26 HP liquid cooled gas w/ 45 hours) for several days this summer and it did not preform any better then my 20 HP.

I will be adding another Walker next season so I'd love to hear opinions on this HP issue :help:. I'd love to get the diesel (we have our own tank here and 4 diesel trucks) but can't justify 4k more. Thats 1/2 of a 20 HP unit payup .

Mike :waving:
  10. lawncat

lawncat LawnSite Member

Believe you were using the 25hp water cooled MTLGHS--there is no water cooled 26

The 26 EFI cannot be compared to the 20 or 25 normally aspirated engine.

The EFI unit is so much stronger that the blower impeller looses no speed under load and you will notice your box is heavier when time to dump when compared to a 20 or 25.

We have 3 EFI units and an older 24.5 Kubota gas. 2 of the EFI units have over 2500 hrs--still running fine. The Kubota engine has 4700 hours, is used daily, and has never given us any trouble that we could not immediately deal with. We were only averaging 1800 to 2100 hours on teh 25 hp engines before the EFI unit was available.

As stated before, the 29 EFI unit was talked about a a while back but is not listed in current dealer info, pricing or literature at our dealers as of today. For a 48" GHS deck the 26EFI is more than sufficient.