Walker questions...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Nov 16, 2002.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Not that I'm in the market for one, but since they've been talked about alot here lately I just had a couple things I was curious about.

First, can you just switch from collect to mulch on the go, or do you have to switch the whole deck for that?

What is the length of a Walker compared to a mid mount?

Can you drive them with deck flipped up?

Thanks.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Answers,

No you cannot switch from mulch to collect on the go. A mulch deck is different. The collection decks have counterrotating blades that move the clippings to the middle then into a chute to impeller to basket. The mulch deck does not have a rear chute.

Dimensions 44 H x 43 W x 88 L

wheel base 42-1/4

Compare that to other Z's, they are all the same but different if you know what I mean.

I am not sure I understand your question on driving with the deck flipped up. If you are talking tilting the deck to 90 and driving, I assume it is possible but not very safe or practical. If you don't mind me asking, why would you want to do that?

3. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

No you can't drive with deck up. Especially coming off a trailer ramp. The small wheels near the deck chute will catch something.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Thanks for the answers Mow Ed. I was thinking for things like trailering. If you had to pull on forward for some reason and wanted to pull up as far as possible. And maybe for getting through narrow gates (kinda going sideways and hooking the flipped up deck through).

Just thinking out loud. Thanks again.

5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

You can move SHORT distances with the deck up.

As for gates I tried all that, don't work.

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

NO YOU CANNOT. This is NOT MY OPINION, the 2002 Walker owners manual SPECIFICALLY states, and I quote,

"Do not move the tractor with the deck in the tilted up position since both the roller wheels (on the back of the deck) and the GHS discharge chute may be damaged by moving the tractor. The tilt up configuration should only be used when the tractor is parked."

This is a direct quote from page 36 of the 2002 Walker operators manual.

You should also strap the deck down if you transport it on a trailer with the deck tilted up. The deck will wobble back and forth on the height adjustment pins and can bend and or break them, and can also do damage to the discharge chute as well. This is also discussed on page 36 of the Walker manual.

Excuse me,........of course you CAN do it, BUT, you're gonna have a hard time getting warranty work on your repairs that are directly caused by doing what the manual specifically says NOT to do.

7. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking to buy a Walker in the next year or two and was wondering if you could drive it up a trailers' ramp gate (with the deck down) or do you have to back it up the gate?

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Jason,

I've driven mine up on the trailer and backed it up on it. It all depends on the angle of the ramp gate and how you want the mower positioned due to where you're dumping the contents of the hopper.

9. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

How would I get a new Walker manual. My 26HP EFI that I bought spring 2002 came with the 1998 manual I believe and they did not even have the EFI model in 98.

10. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I called Walker and asked for the manual because I bought mine used. They were happy to send me a parts manual for the deck, the mower, and a service manual for free.