Walker questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gardenpro, Jan 29, 2003.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

I'm considering buying a Walker MT 20hp:
    I have options of either brand new, or a mower with 450 hrs for nearly half the price. I live far away from the dealer and am not a mechanic so I'm thinking it may be smart to get a new one, hopefully more reliable.
    The used one they are selling either with a 42"bagging deck or a 42" Euro deck. I think I may buy a 48" later, what is the Euro for?
    Does a 25-26hp do a better job cutting than 20hp?
    Also, I live where it is wet with rain, dew, and because of this the grass grows very quick. (and is often damp)
    Is this the best mower for me in this climate? I do like the size and height of the machine.
    I appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The used machine is just getting broken in good. If it has been well maintained, it will still give you many hours of dependable service. I would just get an extra set of belts and a few PTO shaft shear pins to keep on hand. I have over 600 hrs on mine, and just replaced the v-belts last month.
    Never heard of a Euro deck. As far as I know, Walker only makes the following 42" decks:GHS (collecting), mulching, and side discharge. I have a GHS deck and a mulching deck. I use the GHS for spring and fall cleanups and then use the mulching deck the rest of the season. The 20hp engine has plenty of power for the 42" decks, and is a very dependable engine. The 25hp Kohler is the engine that Kohler probably wishes they had never produced. It has a bad reputation in the lawn care industry.:)

3. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

If it is really wet Walkers will clog, especially if it is cool season turf. 26 hp is what we use and they still clog it wet conditions. I would imagine 20 hp would let you down. In my opinion Walker mowers are great for bermuda, zoysias, etc. On tall grasses( clump growth) they are not as efficient, (a lot of cross cutting) My 2c

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Whats a Euro deck? I have a 26 EFI and run the 48 GHS in the spring and fall and the 52" discharge in the summer. I love my Walker, but I see a Lazer in my future, maybe in next year or the next. I just want a dedicated mulching more.

MATT

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have never had much of a clogging problem with my Walker in any kind of grass. I found that in wet grass, you do need to slow down a little when collecting with the GHS deck. However, I have mowed and collected thick, wet grass growing in standing waterand if I slow down a little, it never clogs. The 20hp is plenty of engine, even in very thick mulching conditions. Again, you may have to back off the speed a little. Have run my Walker with a 48" GHS deck, and that worked fine too. Of course, you can never have too much POWER.:D

6. gardenpro

from -

Thanks everyone for your replies!
    Thhere is suck thig as a Euro deck, but it isn;t listed anywhere, but the distibuter mentions that they are available on a limited basis.
    I am also wondering how it is on hills compared to others? At the test drive it could barely go up the hill, it dug in bad. Is that normal?
    Thanks, Dennis

7. gardenpro

from -

Excuse the spelling from my last post I must have been asleep! The Euro, from what I gather allows for better bagging. It is sold here on a limited basis. It's not on the website.
    I am curious about how a Walker does compared to other brands for hills. And also how it compares to Scag Tiger cub and Cougar.
    Thanks again- Dennis

8. mwallingford

mwallingford LawnSite Member

I have a Walker 48" GHS (9.5 bushel) and an ExMark Laxer HP with a 48"deck. It's obvious that the Lazer is much faster, but I have one particular property where the Lazer will slide on slopes and the Walker will not. If I have wide open mowing that I need to finish in a hurry, I'll use the Lazer, but nothing gives you the quality cut that the Walker will give. Just my opinion. Plus, the Walker has so many other uses.:blob3:

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

gardenpro,

The Walker is no good on any wet grass. I have over 2600 hours on 48" ghs unit and I will not even bother to mow when wet.

Gene