Walker Quit Picking Up Grass

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by trull, Sep 4, 2007.

1. trull

trull LawnSite Member
    from n.c.

I have an old unit and it done an excellent job of picking up grass.However,it now comes half way up the chute..The chute is not stopped up.
    Could I need a blower unit??all belts tight,when I sit it on the cement and turn on blades,The blower unit turns...Any help??
    Thanks
    Trull

2. Ironic

Ironic LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not at all familiar with Walkers, or what their vacuum looks like.
    I mostly work on Exmark Z turns that have Ultra Vacs.
    there've been several times where I found they weren't working as they should, just becasue of all the crap that had built up inside the unit.
    took it apart, cleaned off all the build up, replaced bearings (if they were needed) and then they worked well again.
    in one case, it didn't help. the rotor inside was so worn down, it just wasn't pulling air anymore. I bandaided it by attaching pieces of old conveyor belt to the ends of the rotor, to bring it back to the size it used to be.
    it seems to work like new!
    just something to try before you spend your hard earned money on a new one.

3. trull

trull LawnSite Member
    from n.c.

You are right about hard earned Money,,,Attaching something to the ends might tell me.Thanks

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You probably need a new impeller in your blower unit. As they wear, you gradually loose suction until it will not pick up at all.

5. trull

trull LawnSite Member
    from n.c.

Is it possible to buy just the impeller????

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

depends on how old of a unit. I ended upgrading mine to a hardened blower when my fins wore out & were rounded pretty bad.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yes, they are available from Walker dealers.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess you made sure the screen is not clogged solid? I had to pull the fan out to put a new front plate on it....wasn't too bad but took a while.

9. trull

trull LawnSite Member
    from n.c.

What screen,the one at the top????

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes. If the housing is not warn to bad that would be the way to go. They are not all that hard to replace. You will have to remove the whole blower unit from the machine to replace the impeller on the older machine. I have heard that on the later 2007 machines you can replace the impeller with out removing the whole blower unit. Have not had to replace a new style impeller yet.