Walker repair bill!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Metroman, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Metroman

Metroman LawnSite Member
    from Va.

Does this seem right to you guy's? I had my Walker put in the shop cause it was smokeing bad (Rings right). Well a week and a half later I got my mower back and the next day I got the bill. They billed me for 20.3 hours labor ($883.00) parts were $250 almost $1200 for the repair. I was thinking it would run about $600 for the repair. Please, anyone does this sound right?:(

2. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

What would be the price for a new Motor or short block ?

If it was close to the 1200.00 then those guys would not be getting any of my business.:blob4:

3. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Same here. At that price, I'd want a new motor.

4. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

If it took them 20 hour to build an engine, they need to be in a different business. I just rebuilt mine and it took less than half a day by myself.

5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure what the price is for a new motor but if you buy one from a Walker dealer it will run you a lot more than $1200.

6. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

The good thing about the internet is being able to find suppliers all over. Even if I had to spend a hundred or two more for a new one, that's what I would do in that situation.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Something is not right. Did you tell them to do whatever they needed to or to call with an estimate before beginning any work? If you gave them the go ahead and all they did was replace the rings you really need to find another dealer. Please give more details.

8. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

When I just drop equipment off at my dealer to be fixed and tell them to just fix it they will still call if it is not reasonable to do so. They will call and let me know. I would go to another dealer, I know my dealer works on all types of mowers.

9. Metroman

Metroman LawnSite Member
    from Va.

I have allready talked with the dealer about the labor cost and he stated that it was alot to breaking down the engine and it takes time that he looked over the bill himself. I can get my invoice out and write down what all they did but i still dont get anywhere near 20.3 hours to do this job.

I just had a 25hp motor put in my other Walker that had over 2300hrs on it before it died. That moter ran me around somewhere about $1800.00, this is a 20hp that i just had fixed.
    That's the point that i made to the dealer, that a new motor didnt cost much more. He also said that this is also a Walker and there are more things involed in breaking it down so I told him take away the pulley's, spring's, belt's ext... and you still have a 20hp Kolher.

10. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

You were gouged, period. Maybe it did take them 20 hours to repair it. All that means is that he has slow people doing the work. My dealer is the same way. I see folks come into his shop with the home owner trimmers and stuff, to be picked up. It amazes me how he charges some of these folks the rates that he does. And how he can tell them what the charges are with a straight face and a smile. I think of a wolf in sheeps clothing everytime I'm standing there as he's breaking one off in them.
    If I were you, and you can make the time, fix it yourself. Go and buy a manual and learn it. It's not as hard as you may think. And you'll have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and a fatter wallet too!