Walker Rooster Tail

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Royal Oaks, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Royal Oaks

Royal Oaks LawnSite Member

HI, Could someone tell me why my new Walker 26hp EFI leaves a thin centre line of uncut grass sometimes. Like a Rooster tail. Not all the time, Just about 50% of the time. Very annoying! Cheers
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Is the grass thick? Are the blades not the right length? Maybe you are going too fast?
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am gonna assume that you have a collection deck. A couple reasons may include, dull blades, ground speed too fast for conditions (very thick growth), cracked blade edges, plugged exhaust screen, wet grass, grass packed under the deck. I have a Walker and I really dont ever see that problem. I don't use the collection deck very much. Most work is done with the 52SD. Its hard for grass to escape the 12 edges under there.
  4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have that problem in light grass. Usually in the fall. Drop the deck 1/2 inch. Also might be the rear castor lifting blades between the wheels. The Latest Walker talk has a note about
    wide set rear wheels not leaving rooster tails.ed
  5. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

hey mow ed you must be running doubles on you 52 SD...what type of blades are you using...I dont have a 52 SD but I do have the 62SD or is it 60...dont use it much...anyways does the doubles mulch grass up pretty good....If I could mulch in mid and late summer with that big deck I would save a ton of time...my problem is my largest contractor wants things bagged, If I could show him it looks as good and point out the positives of mulching I think I could get him to change his mind...btw he did allow mulching with a previous contractor and it looked terrible...i think the guy was just SD with singles and leaving cuttings all over.....anyways what blades do you use...thanks Shane
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I bought the deck with the doubles attatched. Walker actually sells the kit. I bought my deck used but it only had about 20 homeowner hours on it. The mulch plates came with it too. You just bolt them on. I use the mulch kit for leaves and it is awesome. I took down a 3 foot pile of leaves to dust with the deck. For cutting I just let it fly out the side and if I have to double cut it no problem. It is a night and day difference from the GHS deck. The GHS deck is great for the bagged manicured look but for day to day ops the 52SD is a workhorse. I would highly recommend one to anyone.
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

heres the underside, get the tilt up.

june3 125.jpg
  8. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

Thanks for the info Ed..Ill look into it
  9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow Ed, I've only used the GHS deck and bagged everything. I wouldn't mind looking into mulching, but my question is - for example - if you cut a lawn with your mulching system, cutting grass that was about 3" down to 2", how much of a mess do you see? Everyone talks about mulching with gator or raptor blades but I still wonder what a lawn would look like if half was mulched and the other half was bagged...
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am in an area of KY blue, red fescue and rye. Spring time shows tremendous growth and I don't know of a guy around who mulches anything then. Its not really possible with the wet lush growth. That is my opinion and experience. I let everything fly out the side most of the year. I only put the mulch plates on in the fall and they do a great job for leaves.
    You may be able to mulch high lush growth but it would probably require some double cutting as well as going slow in the process.
    With side discharging I find that I can cut higher growth faster and spread it out further. Yes I do have to double cut at times (sometimes 3x) but it works for me. There is no doubt that the GHS system makes a lawn look great. Good Luck.