walker sd decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnyusa, May 4, 2008.

1. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone recommend what sd deck cuts the best? I am interested in a walker 31 hp ghs . I was looking at the 74" sd deck to get also for larger commercial properties and the dealer told me he thinks the 56" is the best manicured cut and all the others are just field decks any info would be great

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I've got a 54" I think not sure . Its just like new never used I don't compare the Walker side discharge to say Exmark Lazer or Scag or Hustler or Grasshopper. I'll sell it to you though. Thats just my opinion. I'll sell the Walker with it too has around 500hrs, but is about 8 yrs old with a 16 or 17hp Kohler $3500. Can't remember I use it about 1 hr a week bagging. But would prefer a Quick 44" because I can sqeeze it on my trailer with the 2 big mowers.

3. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

the gear drive sd decks lack blade tip speed and are basically only good for finish mowing in routine conditions. The 52 and 62 sd decks both work very well with higher horsepower. The 60" deck on the Super B is a very good deck and performs better than either the 52 or 62. The Super B is well worth a demo--we have been very impressed!

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I own a 52SD that is set up with double blades (factory) and can also be used with the mulch kit which works well for leaves in my operation. I will say the 52SD has by far the best cut in all conditions from dry to very wet with my cool season grasses. I believe the double blades are the key. I am not sure if Walker offers the double blade config in any bigger deck but my 52 with the 26 EFI is an excellent combination. I highly recommend you at least looking into it as that big engine will be able to handle it with no problem.

Pic here:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=47295

5. njones

njones LawnSite Member

just got second 31 ghs demoed the 74 nice cut just like the 48 ghs sell for around 2600

6. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Mowed, I just got the 52 and was hoping that the double blade set up would work well in the wet bluegrass conditions I have. Does that baffle skirt under the deck help or hurt it's performance in wet grass?

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Bart I don't know what baffle skirt you are seeing. The mulch kit can be taken apart in 2 but I don't use any of it until fall for mulching. I would say that the 52 does well in the wet, you will still have to scrape sometimes but the tilt up is great. You may get some clumps from time to time but there isn't a deck made that will completely eliminate them. I sometimes double over and things are good.
    You got to get that thing out in different conditions and see what it does. I am sold on mine and I am thinking you will feel the same way when you use it.
    You made a wise purchase. Take care.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The 74" is a bad mother of a deck. But defently needs a 26/31/21diesel to run. I ended getting a 62" because of the uneven ground we have.

9. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Mowed, When you look underneath mine there is a strip of metal "baffle" that runs from one side of the deck to the other. There is about 3-4 between it and the front of the deck. That is the skirt I was talking about. It looks like you can unbolt it. Thanks for your advice.

10. oghfm24

oghfm24 LawnSite Member

Pardon my butting in on your thunder Mowed, Bart that is a baffle which prevent excess blowout on the 52 sd deck. Mowed is correct when he states the 52 with doubles has the best cut of the Walker decks, although I haven't witnessed the Super B's yet. The only variation I make is to use the lift blades in both top and bottom positions, and it REALLY blows and disperses as compared to the top mulching blade IMO