Walker Service Engine Light

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ATouchofGrass, May 16, 2008.

1. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Well yesterday at the end of the work day i shut it off to go and trim. I came back and went to go and start the machine and noticed that the Service Engine Light had come on. And while mowing i felt the motor bog down on lawns that it has never had a problem with. :confused: Now i self tested it and the light came on 4 times and then paused and came on 2 more times. Could anyone offer me any insight?

2. ATouchofGrass

from CT

Anyone????

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

probably a code 42. I have no clue what it represents. Maybe a O2 sensor or a TPS is going bad. What engine does it have? I assume it's EFI?

4. ATouchofGrass

from CT

Correct it has a 26 HP EFI, what is the TPS?

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Throttle Positioning Sensor.
    I meant to ask if it was liquid cooled. If so, a CTS could be bad and trip a code. For the sake of asking, Coolant Temperature Sensor.... but without the proper (this is where they get you) diagnostic tools, your only hope is to find a honest dealer, or if you feel you already have that with a specific dealer, then take it in and ask if they can give you the definition of the code 42. Maybe a repair manual has a list of trouble code definitions that will lead you to the problem. I'm thinking O2 sensor as they can cause a lean condition if not working properly. Best stop by the dealer though as again, I haven't a clue other then automotive service code diagnostics but they might be the same or similar.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

7. ATouchofGrass

from CT

Sorry, i didnt see the mechanic and repair forum.

8. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

I googled and found a Kohler service manual online:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2450_b.pdf

On page 99, it lists two possible causes for a blink code of 42:

Temperature Sensor Circuit: Shorted to Ground
    Temperature Sensor Circuit: Open Circuit or Short to Battery

Either way, it sounds like it's most likely a wiring problem concerning the temperature sensor. Look for any loose/disconnected wires, or any wires that have the insulation rubbed off of them allowing them to short.