walker shimmy!!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bligh61, Sep 9, 2004.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

my 2000 42" 20hp ghs has a shimmy that seems to be happening during tight turns and seems to be isolated to the left side of the machine. any ideas, all the belts look good. fluids seem fine. ?????? :blob3:

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Explain "shimmy". Your fluid could be low and you not know it. The reservoir cup which is in fact just an expansion tank has the worlds fineest screen in the bottom of it and it can get clogged when trash falls in the cup when the level is being checked. The cup is only ment to be filled up only a 1/4" off the bottom not full like some pople thank. To remove the cup first take a air hose and clean the base really good so nothing falls in the pump. Then remove the cap. Take a 3/4" scoket and un screw the cup. NOTE=THE CUP HAS LEFT HAND THREADS!!! The fuild should almost clear in color if it has turned brown or black it needs changed. Make sure you hydro by pass lever is not sticking and the plunger is all the way out. Remove the belt and check the input shaft for play. If you can move it up and down you need the input bearings replaced. Good luck.

3. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

fixer67 the machine seems to bind, for a second ,then lets loose with a slight shutter. Mostly when the blades are engaged. today it shuttered and the drive belt popped of. I put it back on and it ran again. Still had the shutter. I think it gets worse when hot.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I have never seen a belt just come off. You have a bad pulley or something. Are the steering levers sticking? I had one a while back that the complaint was it was jerking to on side and it truned out to be he had not greased the steering levers in years and there were sticking. Take off the belt that came off and look for loose or waen pullies. Also check the jackshaft for play.

5. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

thanks, i'll check this out, i have greased it regularly but maybe missed a fitting, thanks for the reply

6. shopbytch

shopbytch LawnSite Member

We had a "throbbing" jerking on the left hand side. After going through what fixer67 said, and trying to adjust it out; we cried and sent them both to get rebuilt again (@4000 hours) I think that the left hand side wears faster because most people turn right all the time.

7. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

what kind of cost for a rebuild on each?

8. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem on one of my 1999 models a couple of years ago. The hydro was about shot because of problems in the gearbox which drives the wheel. WAlker had problems around 1999 and 2000 with I think the drive wheel gearbox cleaning process which left grit inside and their were failures. Mine lasted about 900 hours. Unbelieveably, walker replaced both the gearbox and the hydro. Change the fluid in the gear drive assembly and check for metal shavings. If there are a good many shavings then get your wallet out.