Walker Shutter

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bligh61, Oct 30, 2004.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

my 20hp walker shutters on the left side when i make turns. it seems to do it under a load and when the blades are engaged. any ideas?
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Idler pulleys are worn, and/or idler pulley springs are getting weak. Mine did the same thing, and I replaced the idler pulleys and tension springs on those pulleys. The problem went away. Try this first, as those pulleys will wear with age and the springs lose their tension. That, then allows the belts to slip, and the hydros will feel like they are shuddering.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If you are working in dusty conditions then the belt could get impregnated with grit and cause the slipping.Twist it over and check for shinny spots in the belt,thats grit.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

We sell Walkers and the first thing I would look at is the belts pullies and springs just like has already been said. Remove the pump belt from the machine and check it. While the belt is off check ALL the pullies, the ilder and pump pullies. Check the jackshaft as well.
  5. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

how would i know if the pulleys or the springs are bad?
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Well pulleys are meant to go round and round not side ways. If you can move a pulley side to side it is bad or the bearing for it is bad. Springs can go weak. Check the belt tension and see if you thank it is tight enough. It would be hard for me to try and tell you how tight it should feel that is just something you learn. Springs most of the time just brake so a broke spring or one that has jumped off is what you really need to look for. See it the belt is "glazed". If the belt or pulleys are glazed they will slip. A glazed belt looks real smooth and may even have a glass like appearance. A glazed belt is trash. A glazed pulley is easy to fix with some sand paper. Another note on belts, belts are meant to grab the SIDES of pulley not the bottom. If a belt bottoms out it is time to replace the belt.
  7. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

thanks for the info, i changed the belt and the problem has ceased for now. the pulleys and springs look good, but the belt would jump off the top pulley when the machine would shutter the hardest. thanks again, barry
  8. shopbytch

shopbytch LawnSite Member

This is a bit late but, the side gearbox on our old walker broke both of the bolts that screw the left gearbox to the frame which caused a "jerk". It took a while to see this, and we had to re tap the holes for larger bolts. After about 3000 hrs every bolt on a walker wants to bust.