walker slope help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gwoods, Oct 16, 2003.

1. gwoods

gwoods LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

i'm having trouble mowing slopes. can someone tell me how to do it properly? i feel like i'm sliding of the seat most of the time unless i'm mowing with the decline on my right side. also i would like to say that is the best mower i have ever owned. :D

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow hills our Exmark ZTR wouldnt even mow! Yet our Exmark would mow a hill the Walker wount mow! Steep hills we mow straigh back or angles also we have tail locks on our Walkers to keep on hills, make sure the hopper is empty when mowing hills. Our ZTR's will mow straight up a hill and a scary incline at that but the stink at holding hills sideways (the hills here anyways) We live in the mountians!!!

3. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

look in your manual that came with the mower.any rider they tell you to go up and down hills not across them.yes sometimes we can't go up some hiils.thats where a good W/B comes in.i have the same problem you guys are having.i must of gone through 15 pairs of under pants this year lol lol

4. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that if you keep the deck a hair downhill, it holds much better. Adjust the kill switch so it dosn't cut out when you shift your weight, and you can use the edge of the seat more.
    Larger sd decks seem easier on hills.
    I am totally satisfied with my Walker.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have found that the 52SD deck holds the hills better than the 42GHS. That is from the weight of the deck. I usually go side to side on the hills as opposed to up and down. Some guys have a rear wheel lock that keeps the wheel from castering downhill. I have never used one so I am not qualified to say if they work or not. Good Luck.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You might want to try a set of the wide, low profile, wheels and tires that Walker has. One of my Walkers has those on it, and it holds the hills a lot better than the one with the standard wheels and tires.:D

7. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Forget the rider and use a WB. We had a fatality in Indy last month. Another LCO was riding along a hill on a pond and rolled it over, trapping him under water. Not worth it! Save a few minutes vs. risking your life. Walk it instead!

Mike

8. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I have the atv tires that are an option through walker. I ordered them off the internet and got them cheaper than through walker. They are Titan fast trekker II tires. Carlisle bought out Titan but for now, you can still get them. I can hold a hill very good now and they work when the ground is soft too.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

This is a little off the subject but I hace a steiner that I mow side hills with. This mower 'feel fine'where I was ready to bail on my others this sticks like glue