Walker speed pulley

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, Sep 15, 2004.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

we put that speed pulley on our walker and I had heard maybe on this site that it is harder on the hydro to have the pulley on. It makes sense cause i can here it work harder it seems to moan and groan alittle more. It feels its a higher gear effect. We have the 52" deck on it aswell we will be using the aerator attachment soon and these attachments are quit heavy.
    any thoughts on if this is true

2. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

someone has to know something to about this ????????????

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have the pulley and haven't had a problem yet in about 00 hrs of use. I actually bought a bigger pulley than the one offered by Walker but it was almost impossible to control the tail bounce. It sure did speed up trips to dump though.

4. PAXLSI

PAXLSI LawnSite Member

I bought my Walker this spring and had the speed up pulley installed in July. Had to have a new spring put on it this week, because the kit did not come with a stronger spring. Talk to your service department about the stronger spring. Might fix your problem.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have had a speed up kit on since I been running Walkers. I have 1300 hours on the 2000 Walker with ZERO hydro problems. I run a 52SD deck and I would be lost without the kit. You do need the stronger spring for belt tension. There are no issues with belt replacement or hydro damage in my experience. I run Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the hydros and change it at the end of each season.
    I highly recommend the kit but if you are used to the slower set up, it takes a little to get used to the increased responsiveness of the controls. Not a hard thing to learn but initially it is different. Good Luck.