Walker speed up kit didn't work

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gardenpro, Mar 10, 2006.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

I had a speed up kit put onto each of my walkers. Both 20HP. One has 42" the other 48" deck. There is a HUGE differance in speeds, the 48" didn't speed up at all. I don't htink it's the decks weight though. The slower mower did get jerky, and the fwd control is much tighter to push/pull now.
    I took it back and the shop said it was fine. They said it could be an RPM issue which didn't make sense in this case. They had just tuned it up, plus it runs great when not in motion. They just didn't want to make time for this that's all.
    Any ideas on why this would happen? There is no other dealer within reasonable distance. Thanks for any help.

2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Not familiar with the speed up kit. Does it to increase the ground speed and the blade speed, or just the ground speed? Are you talking about belt driven machines or hydros?

3. jblawns123

jblawns123 LawnSite Senior Member

It is possible it already had one. Did you buy the machine new?

The speedup kit is a smaller drive pulley which makes the hydros spin faster which gives you jerkier response and an overall faster ground speed. Make sure none of the belts are slipping. Also check the crank pulley on the motor to make sure it isn't really worn. I had to replace mine.

4. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

I did get the machine new. The mower with kit that actually sped up is about double as fast. I get the lawn cut faster with the 42 deck than with the 48 deck. The belts are tight, and I'm pretty sure it isn't the crank pulley, the first time after the kit was put on is when it happened so it wasn't a gradual breakdown- it was crap coming out of the shop.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe they mixed up pullies when they were doing both. They may have removed the slow pulley from your 42", replaced it with the speed up kit pulley, and then installed your old 42" pulley on the 48" and threw out the correct speed up pulley.

You never know.

Thats why I do all my own work.

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member