Walker speed up kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Curb Appeal Lawn Service, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Curb Appeal Lawn Service

Curb Appeal Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Hey guys, Just wondering if the speed up kits for the Walkers are worth the money. Ihave a 06 MTGHS 26 hp 48" deck. I was just concerned that it would sacrifice the quality of cut due to blade speed or have excessive tire spin. Any help is appreciated.

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, i had one on my first walker and you can tell a difference. alters the handling characteristics though... makes the steering pretty sensitive.

3. leardriver

leardriver LawnSite Member

I never understood the speedup kit. Why not just make the mower that fast to begin with?

4. MikeLT1Z28

the early mowers (remember, walker's been building mowers for a quarter century) didn't need to be fast as the market place wasn't that large and it was before the horsepower/speed contests began. an 11hp engine will effectively run a 42" deck, now they are up to 20hp+ but nothing has really changed.

so to really answer your question, why didn't they build them faster to begin with? they didn't have to...

5. leardriver

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the speed up kit was an option on new mowers too, designed to increase the speed from 5 to 6.5 mph. Which brings me back to my original comment. Just make the mower as productive as possible to begin with.

6. MikeLT1Z28

i was thinking that i read somewhere that all the newer mowers (maybe '04 or '05 and up) had the ground speed increased by some changes they made and the kit was to retro-fit older mowers. i'll see if i can find it. On the speed up kit they do have a disclaimer about the kit not being good for starter users due to the changes in sensativity.

i'll look into it.

7. MikeLT1Z28

ok, if you go to walker's page and look at walker talk vol. 25, under the product news there was an update in 2005 that was supposed to trickle down to all the models. i assume it did.. never heard either way. Speed was actually increased to 7mph rated.

http://www.walkermowers.com/index.htm1?section=walkertalk

8. leardriver

Thanks for the clarification.

9. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone put a speed up kit on a mc model? I was told that they didnt recomend it for the mc im guessing because its only an 18 hp. I also demoed the new super b and im not sure what the speed was but that thing moved out probably twice as fast as my mc

10. Curb Appeal Lawn Service

Curb Appeal Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Thanks for everyone's reply's..!!!!