Walker Speed-up Kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenery, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

Is there any reason that you guys know of as to why you cant put a speed up kit on a model c walker. I did some research on this before and people on here and dealers said that it just wouldnt fit. Well I bought one anyways and it fits and works just fine I guess i'm just wondering if i'm missing something. Thanks for the input.

2. Greenery

No opinions on this I guess.

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

It's a warranty issue, I was wanting the speed up kit installed when I purchased our MT20 last season, and the dealer refused to install it until the warranty period was up? For me the increase in speed in not that much, and for the hassle it was going to become with the Walker dealer, I just said forget it.

4. Greenery

So i'm guessing it will accelerate the wear on the drivetrain?

5. DavidR

DavidR LawnSite Member

That is BS, the speed up kit will fit and work without a problem. The reason I was told they don't offer the kit for the MC is that most of the users of the MC don't have the experience of someone that uses an MT. Therefore they think it may be more speed then you could handle.

I'm planning to get a speed up kit soon for my MC and was told it would work without a problem by the distributor. I think it will work well at least for transport, not sure about mowing.

6. nosparkplugs

We need a Walker dealer to clairfy the speed up kit for the MC & warranty issue I was told here for the local Walker dealer regarding the speed up kit? I just want to know if the local dealer was full of BS.

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Isn't the speed up kit just a bigger (or smaller, cant remember?) pulley? Would it not be easier to go to your local TSC or something to get a new pully to stick on there?

8. nosparkplugs

smaller pulley wheel, it also makes the MT more "squirrley" when first learning how to operate a walker. Their is a learning curve from the standard ZTR controls to a Walker, if you own a Walker you know what I mean.

9. Luxury Landscaping

Luxury Landscaping LawnSite Member

I was told the same thing by my dealer. However, my Walker is a 12 year old model C with a newly replaced 16 hp single cylinder Kohler engine. Do you know if the speed up kit would work for this unit?

10. Greenery

Yup it's a smaller pulley and also a stronger tension spring. As to going to a local TSC or similar well it was only 20 bucks and I like to support my dealer as he supports me in return. And I agree I think it would be great if there was a walker rep on here to respond.