Walker Spread Axle Option

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JethroBodine, Mar 28, 2004.

1. JethroBodine

JethroBodine LawnSite Member
    from IL

Has anyone used the new Walker rear spread axle setup?

If so do you have any comments on it?

Also, I know its early but does anyone have any pics of the stripe it leaves?

2. JethroBodine

from IL

Here is the spread axle setup if you have not seen it:

splittailwheel.jpg

3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

My dealer had an open house this week and I saw it on one. Looks pretty nice. They claim the ride is alot more sturdy. Turning around takes some getting used to when you're around gardens or flower beds. The rear tires stick out so if your used to the stock way it's different, you can do some damage. The wheels look like they trail in the path of the drive wheels so i would think that it stripes pretty nice. Can't wait to get some feedback from guys that will be running them.

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Wonder how that will affect curb hoping? I am betting it will make it tougher.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Interesting, thanks for the pic Jethro. One con I can see is with the old style, if one of the tires go flat, you can keep mowing. Not sure how that would work with this setup, probably not well.

6. JethroBodine

from IL

One more try....

Does anyone have any pics of the striping on this setup? Or even any comments on pros & cons if you have one?

7. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

They are inline with the drive wheels so it should not effect the striping. In fact, I believe that is how Walker is marketing them.... If you don't like the look of the striping with the center rear wheel - buy the optional wide wheel kit.

No, I don't have one. I have the stardard type of rear wheels side-by-side.

http://www.walkermowers.com/index.htm1?section=new

8. grillonz

grillonz LawnSite Member

Looks Like a copy of the Grillo Beefly. May make running with bigger deck widths better (more weight at rear of machine)

9. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I had trouble the first month with Mine and finally put tubes in the back tires. I guess that the beads were getting unseated on some corners or sidehills.
    I think I'll stay with the original setup.
    I did like the idea of a small chipper/shredder though.