Walker Starts Hard- 18HP Kohler 500hrs.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Mar 28, 2005.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Background: Bought the unit a couple months ago after it had sit in repair shop for over 8 months. I got the unit started at shop and brought it home. I got all the green gas out of tank and cleaned it and replaced the filter. The unit would start and run(only ran it about 10min at a time) but I noticed that when the unit was on a slight hill with tank high the unit cut out. I took the carb off to see if it had green gas/water in it and cleaned with carb cleaner. After doingl that it started hard, but I got it going. Run okay still had cut out on hill. Unit sit for 7 days and I hardly got it to start again. I noticed that there wasn't much fuel in the fuel filter when stopped or when engine runs. The lines are all clean back to the tank. What is a good way to check fuel pump on this Kohler? Is it possible there are some diaphrams that dried out in the pump? I don't know much about this type of pump. ONe other question, should the gas cap allow air into the tank. I couldn't pull any air on either vent pipe with my mouth. Any help is appreciated.
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

To chech the fuel pump take the fuel line off of the carburetor and crank the engine and fuel should flow out of the line. If it doesn't or not enough fuel is comong out then you probibly need a new fuel pump.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

New fuel pump didn't change the amount of fuel in the filter. Next step is to put in new plugs then on to the carb. I did find out why the unit was cutting out on a slight incline....I would lean to one side and the seat safety switch would cut off the unit. A bunch of springs and rubber cushions are tore out and need to be replaced. Just part of the rebuild.