Walker striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Shaw, Jan 25, 2003.

1. David Shaw

David Shaw LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever figured out a striping kit for thier Walker? Granted mine stripes pretty well just thought Ild like to try for a little more pronounced stripe. The SD shouldn't be too hard I just can't figure out how to to do the GHS if at all. Dave

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey, mind telling me how you like your Walker?

I'm happy with my lazer Z HP but it's getting older and I thought I might let it share duties with another rider for a while.

How does it handle tall grass? (I would choose a SD model, no bagging)

Been reliable?

Does it turn easier (w/o damaging turf) than a mid mount ZTR?

3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

We love our Walkers. We've never used the SD decks...only GHS. We have a diesel that will cut thru anything & a 20hp Kohler thats pretty good too. I'd reccommend the bigger motors if you can afford it.

The reliability on both has been very good granted you keep up with the PM. The turf damage is minimal once you get the hang of the machine...at first you'll be making divots everywhere...won't be long though till you really get it nailed down.

:blob4:

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I run with the 52" discharge with doubles. The only thing I can say I don't like about it is that...well...it discharges. By that I mean leaves a mess at time, but the double blade set-up cuts the grass pretty fine. Doubles on that deck is standard, but you might have to purchase the special brackets, I bought mine used and they came with them. I have not used the mulching kit, but have heard nothing but bad about them. The deck will cut high wet grass with no problem, but I am also running the deck with the 26ehi engine. I have had it 2 years and still cause divots if the turf is thin, just can't seem to master it. The trick is to slow down on your turns, but just can't seem to get into the habit. I want to get a lazer in the next couple of years and keep the Walker for strictly bagging, I hate changing the decks.

MATT

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the input.

Walker Talker...I've had my Lazer Z for over 4 years now and still have to watch the divots on thin turf myself. The only real way to avoid them is doing 3 point turns and not trying to zero-turn. Apparently that is the norm with these mowers. I use a 48" deck, but assume the bigger decks and mowers are even worse. They're not bad, you just have to be careful, and forget mowing thin areas (common here in GA after a summer's drought with Fescue) if it's been raining. You'll tear it all up. Does fine on sturdy Bermuda/Zoysia and thick Fescue, though.

I was hoping the lighter versions of the Walker (thinking more of a 42" deck for smaller properties) with their weight centered over the wheels and lighter decks might be faster turners. I know I can even pivot turn (locking inner wheel) with a 36" belt drive walk behind and leave less damage than the Lazer does with true zero turn capability. The lighter weight and small tire must be the reason.

Part of the appeal of the Walker for me was the ability to carry a spare deck on the trailer and switch out in the field (discharge to mulch) if I had to. I was hoping it was a quick operation.

I'm still going to check them out, but part of my reasoning was just wanting a different mower to compliment my existing Lazer's pros/cons.