walker sucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigdaddyspags, Sep 18, 2003.

1. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any advice on getting the most suction from your walker GHS deck? Any good blades out there that help? How do you know when your blower is getting weak/worn? I have an older single cylinder 16hp if it matters.

Thanks

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like either your belts are slipping or worn, or your engine isn't running at the recommended revs, I'd take it to a service agent and get him to go over it, these guys are trained to pin point problems and should normally have your machine all fixed and running to spec. before you could....

I have a 25 hp Walker, but I've not had this problem, but standard blades from Walker are high lift and work fine, another thing....check the fins on your blower, they do wear out as the blades work in sinc. with the blower both need to be 100%.

Walker blades are good, personally I wouldn't change them.

good luck!

Tony,
    Australia

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

It does matter, that is not a commercial mower. For every full week you use the mower is equivalent to a homeowner using it for a full season.....think about that!

MATT

4. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

bigdaddy,
    I just replaced by blower, I run a 20hp 48"GHS. I asked the same question. I had noticed my fins on blower were worn. I compared to a new unit . Also I had noticed I was plugging up more and after making a mowing pass I was leaving cut blades of grass and it wasn't giving that manicured look. It would take 2 or 3 passes to get everything sucked up.
    Don't know if it helps answer your question.
    good luck
    Bluemoon
    P.S. - Shop around for costs - my first call to my dealer I was told 80.00 for regular blower and 120.00 for the hard cased blower. After I got the bill they had charged me 330.00 for the blower. I was pissed so called 3 other dealers in the area to compare prices. All 3 dealers were 220.00 for the hard case blower. I called back to dealer to ask about the difference. As of this writing we are still debating. My dealer denies he told me 120.00, and says his cost is 240.00 and says there is no way the other dealers can buy cheaper than him?? I haven't decided what to do,
    I have always gotten good service and treated fairly, will decide later.
    Anyways good luck.

5. walker-talker

from Midwest

Bluemoon....how ya doing? How many hours on the Walker after having to replace the blower?

Thanks
    MATT

6. bigdaddyspags

Why isn't this a "commercial mower"?

7. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

walker talker,
    It was about 950 hrs,
    bluemoon

8. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I should also say I mow alot of what I call trashy/sandy stuff.
    I think it would last longer, if my properties were cleaner/better grass.
    bluemoon

9. walker-talker

from Midwest

It's actually considered "Large homeowner to light commercial use"

The true commercials don't start until you have a 20hp or larger. Now they have started the low end commercials with 18hp. Go to their website or call your local dealer. If you bought this new, they should have told you this.

10. bigdaddyspags

Does any one use any blades other than the walker brand? Have they improved performance in any way?