Walker Super BEE vs Badboy AOS?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vincey2kr1, Jun 25, 2008.

1. vincey2kr1

vincey2kr1 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

They're both in the same price range 8000-8500 range. Super Bee comes with the 27hp Kohler motor, Badboy 31hp Kaw.. Totally different style of motors, need some recommendations. I mow about 4acres of land. I like the speed of what the badboy offers but the Walker probably has a better cut? Reliability? better warranty?

2. pconley

pconley LawnSite Member
    from ME

Out front deck of the Walker allows you to flip deck up to clean, change blades, etc. They are very stable on hills and fast. Find a dealer and do some demo's, get the feel of both machines. Grasshopper frontmounts are very well built machines as well.

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

the AOS has some nicer engine options and is a more comfortable and productive machine. However, front mounts are definitely in a different class. Do you need a frontmount?

4. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

I don't know much about the Bad Boy. Is it a vertical or horizontal shaft engine? Horizontal shaft engines are the way to go.

5. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Its a horizontal shaft.

6. johnnyusa

johnnyusa LawnSite Senior Member

Bigclawn where are you? Hes got a Super Bee.

7. vincey2kr1

from Kansas

I test drove the Badboy lightening and the Walker Super B, and traded in a problematic Hustler super Z cat diesel (gonna miss her :cry:). I went home with the Walker SUper B :clapping: the front deck just seemed more diversified and well after having my Super Z diesel the badboy lightening just didnt do it for me, I really would of loved to have the diesel AOS but the pricetag just isnt feasible. I talked to several SUper B owners and every single one had no complaints, Cant wait to mow!

8. pconley

pconley LawnSite Member
    from ME

Good choice, I'm sure you will be very happy with it.

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

The worse thing about a Walker beside ride quality is if you mow dry dusty lawns your engines will pay for it. By that I mean you will be blowing out your engine compartment more often and time is an issue for most of us, greasing is not the easiest either. Maintenance is a handful compared to a Bad Boy or Midmount mower. That clamshell also hold in the heat more. I like Walker never had a Super B but I go midmount over frontmount every time.

10. vincey2kr1

from Kansas

Well compared to my Super Z diesel midmount the front mount Walker super B scalps ALot less. The front mount just follows the ups and downs of the terrain like a snake making for a better cut. I'd like to say the ride quality is very comparable to a midmount, not worse, If you do end up going to fast into some really quick bumps the deck tends to bounce instead of trying to throw you off. The super b has the larger tires to what i've seen on other walkers wich probably helps alot. It handles the slopes very very well over the midmount but thats because of the lower center of gravity. Im also able to get under trees alot easier etc. The negative of the lower center of gravity is you tend to get a little dustier its a give and take thing. Not having to keep the handles going forward all time is going to be a major plus in the long haul I can tell once i get used to it :) !!!

Maintenance are you kidding me! I love being able to access the bottom of the deck in seconds. Sharpening/changing/washing blades is going to be a breeze. Access to virtual anything on this mower is alot easier then my midmount.

The only real advantage I've seen that the midmount has is SPeed. I'm going to miss the 15mph but Its not like anyone is capable of mowing at that speed more then 5% of the time and have a quality cut(not at all on my yard anyways). But when you can man is it Fun and i'm gonna to miss thatlol! My wife would laugh everytime I would head towards the trailer at ludicrous speed. 9mph is plenty fast and if I can cut at that speed or anywere close i'll actually mow just as quick or quicker then my midmount sooo I'll just have to wait and time myself to see :)

Reliability, well Im not sure on the Walker everyone that i've talked to including service manager says I will not have a single problem wich is the least i could say for my super z diesel :( That Cat diesel is a beast and if it wasnt for the reliability problems for the short period i even had her (broken idler spring, hydraulic leaks, tandum driveshaft pump leak) I wouldnt even be trading her in. Oh well I hope my post helps and if you have any questions just ask!